AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Due to magnificient efforts of two members of this board, AutoRip and MediaDogg, we now have the full GUI software support for Windows XP for the Sony 200 CD/DVD writer/reader VGP-XL1B1/2 megachanger.

This development is based on the original console-based program "mediachanger.exe", developed by Alex Wetmore, a long-time AVS forum member. Alex, thank you very much for starting this ball rolling.

The latest "full" version (0.51x) can be downloaded from this location:
http://mediadogg.files-upload.com/2...I-051x.zip.html

Latest executable is GUI 0.54x, it needs to reside in the folder where the "temp" subfolder is located.

Previous versions:

Here is the zip file which includes the .exe, source, bitmaps and mediachanger.exe.

http://mediadogg.files-upload.com/1...I-048x.zip.html

http://mediadogg.files-upload.com/2...I-050x.zip.html

http://mediadogg.files-upload.com/2...I-050x.zip.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Support, bug reports etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MeidiaDogg have pre-registered a generic user "avsforum", password "sonyvaio". You can use that or register your own userid to post problems and track progress. I will post the bugs that I have found so far. It will not be productive to try and use this thread as a support forum - so please submit all issues, suggestions, code snippets there. It is easy and free, and you can use the generic login if you wish.

http://mediadogg.com/support/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind this is FREE software, don't expect 24/7 technical support.

However, both developers and yours truly will try to answer your questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is another Delphi-based app from the forum member shizzle

Latest release can be found here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/05abrr

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ok, here I go again. I fixed a couple of more bugs. I think the disc display in Fullsots and Allslots stays up to date better now, after Mount, etc.

Also, as I mentioned before, I tripped over the capability of the Title Scan function to be used as a "poor man's" batch CD rip. Basically, I was annoyed by WMP 11 loading every time I scanned a disc, so when I went to turn off AutoPlay on the changer drive, I spotted the "Rip CD Using Mediaplayer" option. So I messed with it, and added a way to specify "rip" while scanning, and a cancellable delay. For me it needs to be set between 5 and 6 minutes. So, with AutoPlay on, I have ripped a whole bunch of CDs to lossless WMA using 049x. No way is this as robust or even intended as an alternative to Shizzle's Delphi app. It's just a little side function that I got almost for free. If you are using the GUI already, and you have a few CDs to rip, and you are usually near the machine while it's happening, then it'll work for you.

The CD rip function does not recover from errors such as: (1) An enhanced CD - looks like a DVD, and so is skipped, (2) WMP creates a message box with reply, requiring a manual "start rip" intervention - happens about 5% of the time, (3) WMP starts playing the CD - better keep your volume down!

Otherwise, I have found WMP to be quite good at downloading metadata. And even when it fails, or partially fails, it has an excellent metadata editing capability.

Anyway, enjoy.

@Autorip - I hope you don't mind that I continue to make changes. I will use the "x" for my series. Basically, I'm making things available that I want for myself.

I plan to add:

- Disc label / title edit (you can already do this manually)

- Search and sort in Fullslots / Allslots

- Cross changer view in Fullslots / Allslots

- Server monitor for client/server version of mediachanger.exe

If you prefer that I don't ship to the Forum, I will agree to ship to you for consideration. I don't want to "step on your toes," so to speak. I have too much respect and appreciation for what you have done and taught me, to get on your bad side!

I guess with this thread, we might not need the myspace blog I set up - not sure, but I will continue posting there if anybody wants to try it.

Edit: Just added the file. Unpack the contents into the 048x directory, or copy the contents of 048x into the 049x directory.

GUI-049x.zip 273.0234375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you MediaDogg, will test shortly.

I agree that blog is not needed.

Besides, MySpace requires registration, and I am one of the few dozens people on this planet who don't have MySpace account

I hope you and AutoRip will succesfully resolve workflow issues.

Thanks again for your work.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, everything is cool exept some text is cut off again for me in the new version. I can live with that.

Did not test CD Rip feature, don't have any CDs to rip.

All my CDs were ripped long time ago to Audio DVD using DVD Architect to Dolby Digital (AC3). This way I have a visual control and can select one of my 300 CDs by clicking on the icon.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 /forum/post/0

OK, everything is cool exept some text is cut off again for me in the new version. I can live with that.

Did not test CD Rip feature, don't have any CDs to rip.

All my CDs were ripped long time ago to Audio DVD using DVD Architect to Dolby Digital (AC3). This way I have a visual control and can select one of my 300 CDs by clicking on the icon.

Looks like you were (are) way ahead of the curve! Anyway, I'm finally enjoying the same ... WMP is truly awesome, even though Vista stinks. And ironically, I finished ripping my last 40 or so CDs while testing, so now I don't need it any more either!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know its a stupid question, but where is the gui expecting mediachanger.exe to be? I have it in the same directory, but i am getting errors. I can use mediachanger from the command line, but am excited to see what your gui adds (i hate writing scripts).

·
Registered
434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloswin2002 /forum/post/0

I know its a stupid question, but where is the gui expecting mediachanger.exe to be? I have it in the same directory, but i am getting errors. I can use mediachanger from the command line, but am excited to see what your gui adds (i hate writing scripts).

Sorry, I was trying to make it easier. To get around the 500KB upload limit of this forum, the 049x package is an add-on to 048x. So first download and unpack 048x, and then overlay the contents of 049x. You can then rename the folder t o 048x if you want. you could also delete GUI-048x.exe.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdermody /forum/post/0

Just curious, is there a patch file, or new zip file to the updated MediaChanger.exe?

-pd

The first post in this thread has the zip file that contains everything. mediachanger.exe is in the \ emp folder, per the orginal AutoRip design. If you want GUI-049x, the GUI-049x.exe from the zip file posted earlier should be copied into the GUI-048x folder. It uses the same version of mediachanger.exe, which hasn't changed for awhile now. I hope this finally clears up where everything is!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any news on the development?

not trying to force anythng, just bumping the thread.

·
Registered
814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaDogg /forum/post/0

The first post in this thread has the zip file that contains everything. mediachanger.exe is in the \ emp folder, per the orginal AutoRip design. If you want GUI-049x, the GUI-049x.exe from the zip file posted earlier should be copied into the GUI-048x folder. It uses the same version of mediachanger.exe, which hasn't changed for awhile now. I hope this finally clears up where everything is!

Actually I was referring to the source code to mediachanger.exe itself as I wanted to look at some of the changes.

-pd

·
Registered
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdermody
Actually I was referring to the source code to mediachanger.exe itself as I wanted to look at some of the changes.

-pd
@pdermody: Oh, I see. Ok will zip up the files and edit this post shortly. Would appreciate any constructive comments. One thing I would like to do is to automatically associate the "\\\\?\\ ...." style changer path to the drive letter. I have read a bunch of stuff - seems to be hard to do. One technique involves looping through structures that you get from the device IO subsystem that was over my head. So if you know how to do that, send me a code snippet. The reason for this is that the changer can be controlled just fine without the drive letter, but for file operations, such as getting the volume label, directory, saving and loading files, you need the conventional windows style path name.

@galileo2000: Coding and testing like crazy (along with normal family duties and entertaining weekend guests!) I've fixed that elusive Allslots/Fullslots bug(s) involving keeping the lists up to date. I'm adding all kinds of options for customized batch scanning of CD,s, DVDs and Data discs. Turned out to be a bit more work that I thought because I keep adding stuff that I need(want) and trying to cover for error cases, etc etc. For example, I added a log. I really need a data directory with the ability to play video/audio file from any changer / slot from a master list that I can sort, etc. in various ways. That's what is taking the time. I will offer something soon, but it will not be complete (will it ever?), but I'll have some placeholder menus that will suggest what I have in mind. Then others can either comment or supply code snippets to fill in the gaps, or whatever. Another day or two probably ...

Edit: Ok, added the source for mediachanger.exe. The changes I made were for multiple changer support, load / eject from IE port. I also made changes required to get a clean (no warnings) compile under MS Virtual Studio 2005 C++. I don't profess to be the most elegant coder. My goal is to get stuff to work and to eliminate bugs, and not do any damage. Elegance comes in somewhere after all that.

MediaChangerSource.zip 7.2041015625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:

@pdermody: Oh, I see. Ok will zip up the files and edit this post shortly. Would appreciate any constructive comments. One thing I would like to do is to automatically associate the "\\\\?\\ ...." style changer path to the drive letter. I have read a bunch of stuff - seems to be hard to do. One technique involves looping through structures that you get from the device IO subsystem that was over my head. So if you know how to do that, send me a code snippet. The reason for this is that the changer can be controlled just fine without the drive letter, but for file operations, such as getting the volume label, directory, saving and loading files, you need the conventional windows style path name.

@galileo2000: Coding and testing like crazy (along with normal family duties and entertaining weekend guests!) I've fixed that elusive Allslots/Fullslots bug(s) involving keeping the lists up to date. I'm adding all kinds of options for customized batch scanning of CD,s, DVDs and Data discs. Turned out to be a bit more work that I thought because I keep adding stuff that I need(want) and trying to cover for error cases, etc etc. For example, I added a log. I really need a data directory with the ability to play video/audio file from any changer / slot from a master list that I can sort, etc. in various ways. That's what is taking the time. I will offer something soon, but it will not be complete (will it ever?), but I'll have some placeholder menus that will suggest what I have in mind. Then others can either comment or supply code snippets to fill in the gaps, or whatever. Another day or two probably ...

Edit: Ok, added the source for mediachanger.exe. The changes I made were for multiple changer support, load / eject from IE port. I also made changes required to get a clean (no warnings) compile under MS Virtual Studio 2005 C++. I don't profess to be the most elegant coder. My goal is to get stuff to work and to eliminate bugs, and not do any damage. Elegance comes in somewhere after all that.

MediaDogg,

You are my hero.

I am serious.

You and AutoRip gave me what I wanted.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Is the current download file a source code-only?

Best and thank you again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm new to this forum site. I work for a company and my boss has put his eyes onto this changer, but he doesn't wish to use it for cd ripping or dvd storage. He wants to use the changer for software storage. My question is with the Media changer could I controll the Sony changer on an XP Pro workstation to catalouge, store, and "offer" any software cd/dvd that I have loaded? Thanks again, and sorry if this is in the forum.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmian /forum/post/0

I'm new to this forum site. I work for a company and my boss has put his eyes onto this changer, but he doesn't wish to use it for cd ripping or dvd storage. He wants to use the changer for software storage. My question is with the Media changer could I controll the Sony changer on an XP Pro workstation to catalouge, store, and "offer" any software cd/dvd that I have loaded? Thanks again, and sorry if this is in the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

The answer is "Yes".

You can load 200 software CD /DVD/Backups and whatever and control it using abovementioned apps.

Just have a catalog handy, know what you do, enter the slot number and click "Mount" button. It will appear as your "regular" CD /DVD drive in My Computer.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 /forum/post/0

Welcome to the forum.

The answer is "Yes".

You can load 200 software CD /DVD/Backups and whatever and control it using abovementioned apps.

Just have a catalog handy, know what you do, enter the slot number and click "Mount" button. It will appear as your "regular" CD /DVD drive in My Computer.

That's exactly how I justified buying 3 of them. One for DVDs, and ther other two for a mix of data backups and archive - audio, video, programs, whatever.

GUI .050x, due soon, will catalogue your data from all your changers and then save the catalog to a file. You can select and "open" (play / edit, whatever) the file from the list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I read through all 12 pages of the original thread where this all started from and a lot of the items that were talked about kinda got lost in my head. In order to get the VGP-XL1B(2,3) to work I need to:

1) disable the RMS(I think thats what it was)

2) flash the firmware on the VGP(if it doesn't already have the latest)

3) do not install the sony software

Besides those three items the VGP should pretty much work out of the box with the Mediachanger software on a XP SP2 Pro workstation with all current critical patchs installed.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmian /forum/post/0

I read through all 12 pages of the original thread where this all started from and a lot of the items that were talked about kinda got lost in my head. In order to get the VGP-XL1B(2,3) to work I need to:

1) disable the RMS(I think thats what it was)

2) flash the firmware on the VGP(if it doesn't already have the latest)

3) do not install the sony software

Besides those three items the VGP should pretty much work out of the box with the Mediachanger software on a XP SP2 Pro workstation with all current critical patchs installed.

You did a pretty good job of sifting thru stuff. The only one of those that is critical is disabling RSM. I was using my changers with no problem for quite awhile before doing the firmware upgrade.

Another change I think is necessary, but I've forgotten how it happens: on a stock XP system, the changers will not be installed as SONY branded, and mediachanger.exe will not work. Maybe somebody else can post the answer - I did it so long ago, I forgot!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:

You did a pretty good job of sifting thru stuff. The only one of those that is critical is disabling RSM. I was using my changers with no problem for quite awhile before doing the firmware upgrade.

Another change I think is necessary, but I've forgotten how it happens: on a stock XP system, the changers will not be installed as SONY branded, and mediachanger.exe will not work. Maybe somebody else can post the answer - I did it so long ago, I forgot!

I believe you need at least SP2 vanilla system.

I only have a few updates installed, one is security unrelated to security
, another two are USB and 1394 fixes.

I used to have two Sony DVP-CX777ES 400 DVD changers.

Pretty cool changers controlled thru RS-232. I posted several solutions as of how to control them with xlobby.

Sold both and got myself four XL1B2 for a mere $50 difference.

Anyway, where is my 50x MediaDogg?
Just kidding.

1 - 20 of 370 Posts