AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a CM4228 and CM7777 outside and picking up OTA from about 90 miles away. These channels are coming in at ~70% at night from Lafayette. I am picking up the VHF high channel at ~40 % at all times. So I am thinking of adding a VHF antenna to the antenna I have now and to the 7777. Anyone have any suggestions, to what antenna to add? I have been suggested the following : HD7084P , GS2000, YA1713 or even the HD8200 U.

Any ideas how I could get a little more out of the 4228 to make the UHF channels come in a little stronger.. And if I add a VHF hi antenna to the 7777, will it then cancel out any vhf hi signal's the 4228 picks up or will it combine them?

IF anyone needs it, I am in 70763 and Lafayette , La is in 70501. Its a pretty smooth shot down here in S Louisiana, swamp flat lands no hills.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Try the Delhi VIP 307 or 306.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I just did something similar, added an Antenna Craft Y10-7-13 to a Channel Master 3023 and a Channel Master 7777 preamp. Normally, you use separate inputs to the preamp in this case, which is what I did (have to open up the box and set the switch to "separate". Any vhf on the uhf input will be filtered out (well, at least attenuated considerably). If you want to combine any vhf signal from your uhf antenna with the signal from the vhf antenna, you will need to combine the signals before they get to the preamp, set the preamp to "combined" (comes that way from the factory), and feed the combined signal through the appropriate input on the preamp. Combining 2 vhf sources sounds like a good thing, but you may wind up with less signal, not more if both antennas pick up a channel and the signals are not in phase.

·
Registered
404 Posts
We use a combination of 4228 and YA1713 with a 7777 preamp. Luckily for us all VHF stations are in one direction and UHF in another making it easy to point antennas.

The easiest thing is to use 4228 for only UHF. If you want to use it for VHF you can use a Jointenna to split out the channels you want.

·
Registered
404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjso395 /forum/post/16934447

I just worry about what the range is with the YA 1713

Are you worried about overload on nearby stations or inability to pick up distant ones?

Antenna has about 10 dBi gain. Should be fine for 13, 9, 11, and both channel 7's. Depending on which ones are really important may not even need to use rotor. If it has too much gain don't mount the front extension. Antenna comes in two sections. Not sure how much leaving off the front section reduces gain but probably around 3 dB.

We pick up both NH VHF stations (Channel 9 -36.1 & Channel 11 -63.5 dBm) and WHDH out of Boston (channel 7 -79.2 dBm) without problems. WHDH is interesting because they are having had lots of problem with VHF and are attempting to move back to UHF. The most distant station we receive is WMTW out of Maine 85 miles away. Comes in about half the time. This was totally unplanned, antenna is not aimed directly at station (off by about 10 degrees) and station is 85 miles away (-94.4 dBm).

·
Registered
501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjso395 /forum/post/16930700

Any ideas how I could get a little more out of the 4228 to make the UHF channels come in a little stronger..

There are some mods you can make to the 4228 to improve its gain somewhat. See http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/TemporaryPage.html

You can also gang multiple 4228's. See http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/16bay.html

I only see a single VHF channel from Lafayette on your tvfool report. If so, if you want the highest gain, you can't beat a single channel Yagi. Wade used to make inexpensive ones, but they discontinued them. Lafayette Electronics (in Indiana, not Louisiana) still has some in stock. They have 5-element and 10-element versions, you want the 10 of course. You would feed it to the VHF input on your 7777, and the 4228 to the UHF input, making sure the 7777 is set to seperate, not combined.

Hope this helps!

-- Kevin

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I 'm not worrying about anything close. My nearest station is about 30 miles away. I am trying to hit the VHF channel, about 90 miles away. I'm not using a rotor. With my antenna pointed to Lafayette, I can get Baton Rouge channels ~90 - 100 %.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you want to continue receiving Baton Rouge VHF channels, then my recommendation won't work. A YA-1713 would be best. It will definitely be better than the 4228 on VHF, but not quite as good as single channel Yagis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts