AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems I will have to switch over to a VHF antenna to regain some HD content from New Haven, Conn.(28 miles. also, I will attempt to access the Alpine NJ(43 miles) for ota analog(ugh!).

To that end, I did a search on VHF antenna's and found we are woefully lacking in that dept.

Okay, lets start discussing VHF only systems and reception,not combo uhf/VHF aerials.

I feel this is prudent because most of us were locked into uhf only.

Any suggestions? I know we are digging up "old " tech but it seems quite relevant considering current events.

Gebstr83

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
 http://www.starkelectronic.com/allant.htm

You'll find a collection of VHF/FM antennas towards the bottom.

THat being said, from experiance, it is easier to get a combo antenna (UHF/VHF) than to try to combine seperates (which I'm doing now). Especially if all you need for a pre-amp is for UHF - get a Winegard Ap4800 (which passes VHF as well as amplify UHF - the Channelmaster 7775 says nothing about VHF passthru).

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I am very happy with my Winegard cut yagi tuned to ch

11-13.

I use it all the way down to channel 2, and it works out perfect for me because my low channels are closer!

That way I can use a preamp without overload.

If you need fringe reception for VHF on all channels, you may need something big and these tend to be all channel.

You can still use it for VHF only, and have a dedicated UHF only antenna too, if needed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Scooper, but I already have the CM7777 (vhf/uhf inputs) pre-amp on my uhf antenna so vhf gain should not be a problem. What research I have done (ie: Blake,CM, Lance & Antenna Performance)support your idea of "combo" units as their main push.I consider it a waste to buy what I don't need.Besides, those big suckers are butt ugly.

Does anyone have performence figures on this type?

gebstr83

·
Registered
196 Posts
A modified Channel Master 3010 STEALTHtenna with built-in preamp has pretty good performance at UHF frequencies, but works much better at VHF. It was compared to a Terk TV35 with PDMA mast-mount preamp - both did well with VHF channels 2-13. Neither is particularly large.

Either should work for your needs.

KC

·
Registered
539 Posts
Let me suggest one reason why you might want to consider a combo. There is an NBC-DT affiliate around Hartford which will power up sometime in the future. In other words, you'll need to remount your UHF gear on a rotor to pick up Empire & Hartford.

To pick up Alpine and WTNH you'll also need a rotor. Not impossible but do you really want two rigs spinning around?

FYI - local yokels meeting at Appleby's in Hicksville tonight at 7:00.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, but I apparently didn't make myself clear as to the existing equipment I have.

Dss on pole above chimney

10' mast (attached to dss pole)in rotor with cm7777 pre-amp and a silver sensor mounted outside (yeah, I'm that guy).

So rotating to diffirent locations is no problem nor is pre-amplification.

Kevin, weren't you playing with the stealths design to improve it. My understanding is that ,as is, the unit leaves alot to be desired. If you could pm with the mods I would consider it.

John, Thanks for the invite. I was aware but have other commitments. It would have been nice to attach faces to the names I read and meet some real experts (present company included). If you guys have any imput about the search for new source hd material and how to get it, would you please post?

Thanks again all,

George

·
Registered
887 Posts
George,

I've used a silver sensor outside also.Amazing performance for its size.Also use a cut-to-channel 9-10 Winegard from Starks(20-some bucks)for 2 DT channels.It does as good ,or better,than the large VHF Winegard and Channelmaster models that I have.Much less windload and still works well for all other VHF channels.I have the 10 element model.I also use the same preamp you have,and it works great with separates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.