AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there is a large base of VHS players in the World. Has anyone tried Anamorphic Movies in VHS from DVD? for display with 16:9 TVs.

Here in the Philippines, there are alot of Surplus Sony 29 inch 16:9 Direct view analog TVs. so watching them in 16:9 mode makes sense, even in VHS format. Video cams have 16:9 modes.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Since there is a large base of VHS players in the World. Has anyone tried Anamorphic Movies in VHS from DVD?

Why go to VHS (low res analog) from DVD (hi res digital)

I dont understand? I desing and install systems and most of my clients dont want to see much less use a VCR any more :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by VR Audio Systems

Why go to VHS (low res analog) from DVD (hi res digital)

I dont understand? I desing and install systems and most of my clients dont want to see much less use a VCR any more :)
DVD here is not cheap, a DVD here is equivalent to 1/4 of a regular workers monthly salary. So instead of buying a movie that is not on your priority list, you record it on VHS. Turning on the 16:9 mode gives me great image for my Analog 16:9 direct view TV.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I've never heard of an anamorphic VHS tape. I've seen letterboxed ones, but that is not the same. Do they sell them there?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez
I've never heard of an anamorphic VHS tape. I've seen letterboxed ones, but that is not the same. Do they sell them there?
No body sells them, I accidentally discovered it when I recorded a video material from my Sony digital 8 in 16:9 mode to VHS and the recorded material was connected to my 16:9 Analog Samsung TV. The immage shows a correct geometry. so I experimented and connected an unmarked DVD player to my JVC VHS and switched ON the 16:9 mode, I recorded the Mel Gibson PATRIOT Region 1 DVD. The resulting Video has the same geometry for the 16:9 TV although the image was in VHS quality. I since then recorded, Harry Potter Widescreen, Charlies Angels, Perfect Storm, Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory and a collection of Anamorphic Theatrical Trailers.

I recorded this movies because I'm still saving to buy a region 1 version of there titles.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Part of the DVD standard involving 16:9 enhanced (anamorphic) DVD's was that all players must contain the downconverting circuits to play the DVD properly on a TV without 16:9 mode.

Because VCR's do not possess built in anamorphic downconversion circuits, 16:9 enhanced VHS tapes are not commercially feasible. It would be necessary to ahve both 4:3 and 16:9 optimized editions of each movie which producers are reluctant to do.

True, it is better to do 16:9 mode on the TV instead of 4:3 (downconversion) mode on the DVD player but still, at least in the U.S., most TV sets sold are 4:3 without easily adjusted 16:9 mode.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Allan Jayne
Part of the DVD standard involving 16:9 enhanced (anamorphic) DVD's was that all players must contain the downconverting circuits to play the DVD properly on a TV without 16:9 mode.

Because VCR's do not possess built in anamorphic downconversion circuits, 16:9 enhanced VHS tapes are not commercially feasible. It would be necessary to ahve both 4:3 and 16:9 optimized editions of each movie which producers are reluctant to do.

True, it is better to do 16:9 mode on the TV instead of 4:3 (downconversion) mode on the DVD player but still, at least in the U.S., most TV sets sold are 4:3 without easily adjusted 16:9 mode.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

You have seen the Anamorphic image displayed on a 4:3 screen when the 16:9 is switched 'on' at the DVD player's , The Image looks 'THIN' right, that is what was recorded on the VHS, maybe it is still the same resolution for the VHS for 4:3 display...

BUT when the 16:9 display streaches the picture, the resulting image has a correct geometry as an Anamorphic Source would be displayed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.