AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might bore the heck out of everyone, but it does include the history of how my purchasing habits have changed from 1996 through November 28, 2010. Keeping in mind that I haven't had cable television since I purchased my first computer in 1991, and with the exception of the news shows on Sunday mornings, some PBS shows, and local television news which I mostly listen to rather than watch, the over-the-air television stations might as well not exist in my life anymore, here is how my video entertainment purchases have changed:

1996 VHS purchases -- 07 individual titles

1997 VHS purchases -- 00 individual titles

1998 VHS purchases -- 07 individual titles

1999 through 2010 VHS purchases -- 00

1996 through 1998 DVD purchases -- 00

1999 DVD purchases -- 35 individual titles

2000 DVD purchases -- 27 individual titles

2001 DVD purchases -- 33 individual titles

2002 DVD purchases -- 26 individual titles

2003 DVD purchases -- 18 individual titles

2004 DVD purchases -- 15 individual titles

2005 DVD purchases -- 11 individual titles

2006 DVD purchases -- 34 individual titles

2007 DVD purchases -- 06 individual titles

2008 DVD purchases -- 07 individual titles

2009 DVD purchases -- 01 individual titles

2010 DVD purchases -- 00 individual titles

1996 through 2008 Blu-ray purchases -- 00

2009 Blu-ray purchases -- 11

2010 Blu-ray purchases -- 04

And here is the life-changer, which is Netflix, and to which I started my subscription on 03-06-10 -- 115 streaming-only movies watched from 03-06-10 through 11-28-10.

Hulu gets some viewing time from me also, since I like to watch some of that wresting stuff.

The winner is Netflix. Everything else is losing out big-time, and that includes Blu-ray, whose irritating to use discs are causing me to mostly quit buying them anymore. Die cable television. Die, die, die!

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I can't agree with you more about BluRay discs being annoying (of course, it's basically DVD annoyance + a bit). But I still love the picture quality so ripping one's own BluRay is more of a winner here than I'd have imagined it would be 5 years ago.

·
Registered
158 Posts
So how many streaming titles have you bought?

Clearly we can draw generalizations from this broad sample that doesn't include rentals/borrowed tapes/discs.

Of course it's true there's a general trend towards streaming today.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubiczee /forum/post/19558433

So how many streaming titles have you bought?

Clearly we can draw generalizations from this broad sample that doesn't include rentals/borrowed tapes/discs.

Of course it's true there's a general trend towards streaming today.

I have purchased no disc of a specific movie after first viewing that movie by Netflix streaming.

I have never rented a VHS/DVD/Blu-ray in my life.

I have never borrowed a VHS/DVD/Blu-ray from anyone in my life.

And I have never watched an illegal copy of anything in my life.

I'm also not interested in pay-per-view services like Amazon.com and VUDU offer, so that's why I had no data on them in my initial post.

I just have some amazingly detailed Microsoft Money records that make it easy for me to pull up data on my life.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
I'm wondering about the point of the topic? Your viewing habits? Can you get HD downloads?, otherwise BD can't be compared. On a 24", Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix are close but BD disk is eye candy and none can match.

If you have an excellent connection? (FAST) Well... That's a horse of a different color.

·
Registered
916 Posts
He did warn it might bore some people. I find the OP mirrors my purchasing habits very closely. It's an interesting way of looking at how people buy into certain technologies.

I can go back even further:

Bought vinyl records.

Skipped cassettes/8-track

Bought CD's

Skipped VCR/video discs

Bought DVD's

Skipped BD

Bought streaming.

I also dropped cable in 1997.

I love watching BD in all its glory, but I'll probably rent the vast majority through Netflix. As for streaming, I'm already at 10:1 streaming to disc watching and just a year ago I thought the idea of streaming was a big joke and had no interest in it. Higher quality streams will come eventually. Until then, I'll just enjoy enough content to keep me occupied for years, all available at my fingertips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds /forum/post/19559310

I'm wondering about the point of the topic? Your viewing habits? Can you get HD downloads?, otherwise BD can't be compared. On a 24", Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix are close but BD disk is eye candy and none can match.

If you have an excellent connection? (FAST) Well... That's a horse of a different color.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts