AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all im new to the forum so i hope im putting this in the correct forum/
i have a jvc svhs vcr one of the very last or top of the line Australian models i bought new many years ago.
i have a 65" samsung 4k tv that i want to watch my vhs on however my tv does not have a svideo input being so modern it only has a component/composite input.
i understand that vhs only produces a composite signal but i am unsure why they have a svideo output.
i assume that i will be getting better quality using the svideo out?
my issue is that i want to use the svideo output use a scaler and output the signal to hdmi for my tv to understand.
i have used a number of cheap crappy ebay scalers to try and archive this with no luck
my latest edition is a DVDO IScan Ultra but i am having this same issue.
whenever i go to watch a movie and this only happens on certain tapes the video moves side to side on the tv screen sort of flickering quickly.
my first thought that it was the cheap scalers as i have bout every single different svideo to hdmi converter on ebay and then found the DVDO IScan Ultra but it presents the same issue.
im not an expert on resolutions or scalers by any means.
i thought maybe it was macrovision interfering with the signal causing the tapes to flicker as it only does it on some tapes another thought i had was that it could be a bad dirty tape like the scaller cant understand the tracking signals?
im really not sure where to go from here as i have wasted a ton of money on this already.
my last option was to buy a svideo to component converter and go straight into the back of my tv.
any help would be greatly appreciated
also sorry for the spelling i have a disability and am not good at spelling.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The benefit to the S-VHS was that it could record more lines of resolution if you put in a S-VHS blank tape, although, I used to use regular tapes and punch a hole in the plastic case so the SVHS deck would detect a S-VHS tape instead of a standard tape, and it would record the 400 lines (If I remember correctly) vs the 240 of a regular VHS recording. When you use the S-Video out the VHS is sending out video already separated (color and black and white) when you use composite video the color and black and white need to be separated, that is where the comb filter in the TV comes into play. So it comes down to which device can do a better separation of the Color and Black and white, back in the days of VHS, there were TV's with horrible comb filters, and by using the S-video out from the device you would by pass the comb filter, when using composite the comb filter in the TV did the separation. My guess is that your TV can probably do a better job than the SVHS unit itself. The SVHS signal is output in analog, which shows you half the scan lines at a time every half second, when you use it on a digital TV both lines are shown at the same time, hence the term Line Doubler. The unit I would suggest to try to fix this would be the DVDO EDGE, you can find those around 200 bucks now, and they have a 3D Y/C comb filter in them, you would send composite video in, then HDMI out and set the resolution output to whatever you like, 480P, 720P, 1080I and I believe 1080P. Bottom line, use the composite video out and not the S-video out, those cheap adaptors on eBay will do nothing to help, if the DVDO EDGE does not correct the issue, nothing else will.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx so much for your reply. I i said earlier the dvdo iscan ultra does nothing but make the image shimer on most tapes it works great when im playing back my own recorded svhs tapes but normal vhs it really struggles with. Im still a little confused about the svideo out as vhs is a composite signal. I have a svideo plugged into the vcr from a set top box for recording tv. I guess what your saying is i should just use the composite out of the vcr straight into my tv? Wont this be worse than using the svideo out on the vcr? I was trying to get the very best possible image out of my vcr. Also on my vcr i can push a button called evhs and use normal tapes but i have some blank svhs tapes that i use. Ill keep an eye out for another dvdo scaller that you mentioned. Hopefully that may stop the shimmering or image moving to side to side. Thx for your reply

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thx so much for your reply. I i said earlier the dvdo iscan ultra does nothing but make the image shimer on most tapes it works great when im playing back my own recorded svhs tapes but normal vhs it really struggles with. Im still a little confused about the svideo out as vhs is a composite signal. I have a svideo plugged into the vcr from a set top box for recording tv. I guess what your saying is i should just use the composite out of the vcr straight into my tv? Wont this be worse than using the svideo out on the vcr? I was trying to get the very best possible image out of my vcr. Also on my vcr i can push a button called evhs and use normal tapes but i have some blank svhs tapes that i use. Ill keep an eye out for another dvdo scaller that you mentioned. Hopefully that may stop the shimmering or image moving to side to side. Thx for your reply
That does not have a great comb filter in it, that is why you are seeing that, the Edge has a 3D y/c comb filter and will do a better job.

·
Registered
131 Posts
And I thought that I was one of the only people left using a VHS player. I had to connect my JVC VHS player to an AVR via RCA cables where it then comes out from the HDMI connection from the AVR to my 4K TV in order for it to work. My TV only has 3 HDMI ports and a USB port.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
svideo is the future :) alongside laserdisc :) its amazing the quility of svideo stretched out on a big tv. it must of been the been amazing back in the day :) its anoying that modern tvs have left the analog users behind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts