AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many happy owners of the Panasonic but still haven't figured out what you get when transfering VHS to disc.I read somewhere that due to TBC the recording can be even superior to the original!Is this true?

Also how long can you really record on one disc without obvious loss of quality to the original?Thanks to anyone who will answer.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have copied several movies from vhs to my dvd e-20. I originally taped from pay channels like HBO, Starz, etc. (These tapes were made using the highest recording speed.)

I usually use the flex record mode, adding several minutes to the vhs recording time to avoid under-recording. Viewed on a 56" (16:9) screen, I cannot tell the difference between the vhs and the dvd.

I have also recorded several movies from my Panasonic ShowStopper with excellent results.

I only wish dvd recordables had come around long ago!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've also used my DMR-E20 to copy several old VHS tapes to DVD-R. To my eye, there is a small but perceptible improvement in the image quality when recording to the E20, presumably due to its input TBC. If you record at SP (2-hour) speed or better, you certainly will see no degradation in the quality of your VHS recordings.

Pelagic

·
Registered
234 Posts
It had the TBC , but also have a filter ( can't remember the type )

to further clean up tapes. Consider also that at the 2 highest

speeds of the E20--- XP and SP, you are doing near DVD

resolution ( over 400 lines )and video noise ( about 60 db.)

so you won't be adding any VCR type video problems...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.