AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning to purchase a dvd recorder and the Philips DVDR985 and Panasonic DMR-E50 seems to be a good buy. My main purpose really is to record tv shows as well as transfer a ton of my old vhs tapes. The problem is that these tapes are copyrighted ( ie comic relief series etc. ) Everyone knows that these tapes will soon degrade. Will I be able to transfer them using these dvd recorders? I also have some stuffs burned unto CD-R discs...will I be able to transfer them to DVD using these recorders? If not is there a recorder out there which can do this?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Item 1. Go for the E80, the internal harddrive and editing facilities it has makes it head and shoulders above the Philips (no HD), that plus you are recording to the harddrive and the burning to the DVD-R - not directly to the disc. It may sound like an extra step, but you will thank it the first time you get a bad blank (it does happen) and you DON'T have to start all over.

Item 2. Check this out http://www.facetvideo.com/ this will alleviate your second problem at a reasonable cost (there are other solutions at a higher cost, but this works well for me).

Item 3. Define 'stuffs' burned to CD-R????

If you mean VCD's and SVCD's then yes, you will just need another standalone DVD-Player to 'play' them into the E80 just like they were tape (see the above comment about the Hard Drive.. being able to stack up multiple 'like' programs on the HD and them burn them to disc is easier this way if you want to re-arrange the final order of the programs).

If you mean 'raw' MPEG1/2 files.. then you will need to a) transfer them to VCD/SVCD on CD and the go to the pervious step... OTHERWISE...

if you have AVI/Divx files... I suggest you check out the Liteon LVD-2001 link as a solution for that.. it has allowed me to transfer a large backlog of Divx/MPEG-4 AVI's that I had very cleanly (and quickly, ie. realtime) to DVD-R via the E80

The third option for 'stuffs' could be a PC with a TV-Out card and one of the assorted media players.. but I would only use that as a last resort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the info. anyway ive seen lately that HP has a new product thats pc based called HP DVD MOVIE WRITER DC3000....is this a good alternative to my needs?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am looking at transferring a lot of video to DVD (approx. 2,000 hours).

I was looking at a service to do it for me, but am considering doing it myself.

anyone have any words of advice for me? is it worth doing it myself? what equipment setup would you recommend.

oh yeah - i haven't got the tapes yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be in PAL format.

any tips much appreciated

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
petegrif

well, first off, I would consider a bulk purchase of E80's (grin)

second... you didn't mention if you wanted to convert the tapes to NTSC while making the discs, if the tapes are going to be PAL you best be hunting down some PAL>NTSC converting VHS decks cause the E80's will only take NTSC.

third... depends on what your time is worth and how much control you want over the converted tapes. If they are PAL and you want them converted to NTSC that will (roughly) double the cost of getting them converted...

if you got (for example) three E80's and three PAL>NTSC decks that would run you about $2500 in equipment.... and I can promise you, you WON'T find anywhere that will convert 2,000 hours of PAL tapes to NTSC DVD for $2500 ($2.5/hr)...

·
Registered
600 Posts
.....according to reviews I have seen.....stay away from Philips...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by webscout
Amen...

·
Banned
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by webscout

oh please....have you read about some of the problems the Panny's have at DVDRhelp.com?? Seems like the Panny's are always a hot topic....

Sure the first generation Philips 985 had some major bugs, but my DVDR75 has worked flawlessly. Not to say Philips is perfect, but ALL recorders seem to be buggy at some point.

For the money, you can't beat it IMO. Has Component IN Firewire In (not on Panny's lower end models) play BOTH formats +/-...Panny rarely likes the +R (I burn back up DVD's on PC with +R)

Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
oh please....have you read about some of the problems the Panny's have at DVDRhelp.com?? Seems like the Panny's are always a hot topic....
Why are all the problems posted there and not here? Pretty much praised over here.

Actually, when I took a look I found two threads with some isolated problems. One appeared to be a legitimate hardware problem (bad mobo) the other appeared to be a media problem that was locking up the machine.

Nothing even remotely approaching the raft of problems reported here regarding the 985 units.

Nice try.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Londo
Amen...
Out of curiosity, why "stay away from Philips"? The only Philips product I have is a DSR6000 DirecTivo, and its outstanding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.