Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.digit-life.com/

ESI Waveterminal 192X is a professional 2-in/6-out PCI sound card with 24-bit/192kHz A/D and

24-bit/192kHz D/A converters. The card has 24-bit/96kHz S/PDIF stereo optical digital output, simultaneous

record/playback ability and support for Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1 and LPCM formats. In additional also

there is a headphones preamp on 5/6 line output. The most interesting thing of the card is unbelievable AD

converter quality which is 123dB for Dynamic Range.

http://www.digit-life.com/newsimages/egosys-wt192x.jpg

http://www.digit-life.com/newsimages...e-envy24ht.jpg

(No coaxial)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
 http://egosys.net/1-pro/eng/product/wt192x/wt192x.html

Waveterminal 192X specifications

High quality 24bit 192kHz AD converter; 123dB Dynamic range

High quality 24bit 192kHz DA converter; 106dB Dynamic range

Analog 2 in / 6 out:

2 Balanced +4dBu Line Inputs (1/4" TRS Phone)

3 Unbalanced +4dBu Stereo Line Outputs (1/4" TRS Phone)

2(4 with MI/ODI/O)channel Recording and 8channel playback at the same time

24bit 96kHz S/PDIF Optical digital out

Supports multiple Sampling Rates : 16, 22, 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192kHz

Full Duplex - Simultaneous Record/Playback

Uses 32bit PCI slot: PCI Bus-Mastering support

Headphone amp

Supports the EWDM driver:

Multile MME, Multiple Direct sound,

ASIO 2.0 and GigaStudio support

Support Multiple cards in one computer system

·
Registered
644 Posts
Man, if this just had two extra channels I'd be in pre-amp heaven. Oh-well, have to wait for M-Audio's version I guess.

NickB

·
Registered
119 Posts
there is a daughterboard that is available seperately that allows for up to 8-channel playback and 4-channel input. checkout the second link posted and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Leo

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The daughter card also provides coax support.

Note also that these cards (at least one flavor of them) are stated to be compatible with DVD-Audio (this card appeared in a thread about that).

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
And if we are going to go bagging it... I mentioned it days ago here ... Thier website is claiming DVD-A compatibiltiy and they make quite a play about their HT possibilities on thier site...

http://www.egosys.net/main.html

We are starting to hear hints of DVD-A players too... The 192L has 2 in 8 out 24/192 and I think I read they were going at about $200... I vote we chip in for Cliff to get a tester....

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Anyone know about gaming audio support with this puppy?

·
Registered
66 Posts
WaMi Rack 192X

Bought a WaMi Rack 192X from ESI, and tried on a W2K system. Could to get it to work properly with WinDVD3.1, PowerDVD 4.0, ATI's DVD7.6. The video output just irregulat (speed up, down - seemed uncontrolled) and after a short time, just crash the program, and sometimes crashed and made the computer to reboot.

Still haven't figure out what to do yet.

Hope it is only the WaMi Rack, not the waveterminal.

WaMi Rack has 4in, 10out and an outboard box.

ming

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've always wondered why M-Audio used 24/96 ADC/DAC on their new cards when 24/192 parts are readily available and not much more expensive. However, until the Waveterminals support WinDVD and/or PowerDVD, I don't see much use for HTPCs.

Finally, the Waveterminal 192X daughtercard spec does not indicate that it expands the base system to 8 analog outputs, so it's not clear how one would use this card combo to get 7.1 decoding.

Colin

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Although Ming is having problems Ego Sys are claiming 5.1 SW dvdplayer compatibility on thier site... They make quite a play about "simply use WinDVD etc for high quality multichannel home theater" of course claims and real life but....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Colin Banfield
I've always wondered why M-Audio used 24/96 ADC/DAC on their new cards when 24/192 parts are readily available and not much more expensive.
Mostly because the M-Audio cards are based on the Envy24, not the newer Envy24HT (at least as far as I can tell). Since the Envy24 only supports 96kHz, there really would have been no point in using 192 capable parts. Furthermore, although 192 parts aren't that much more _now_, they might have been when the card was being spec'd/designed. Since the new cards (410/1010LT) are selling into a price-sensitive market, this would have been a concern.

Quote:

Finally, the Waveterminal 192X daughtercard spec does not indicate that it expands the base system to 8 analog outputs, so it's not clear how one would use this card combo to get 7.1 decoding.

Colin
It looks like the daughercard only adds digital I/O, which would mean using an external D/A. This might also indicate that individual channel trim/volume control might not work as well as it does on the 410 since it would have to be digital-domain for the spdif output. Someone will have to get their hands on one to verify.

I checked the Via site, and their description of the Envy24HT is rather strange. It _sounds_ like there are actually A/D and D/A converters _on the chip_, in addition to the I2S outputs for driving external converters. Since there is no datasheet that I can find yet, I can't confirm this. It would explain the huge difference in A/D and D/A specs, though - the A/D would be an external part (probably Crystal, maybe AKM), and the D/A might use the internal parts.

Overall, a great solution if you're doing recording due to the fantastic A/D specs - up there with the LynxTwo - but I don't see it being a better bet than the 410 for HT use - more money, possibly fewer features, and D/A specs that are no better, (maybe worse, don't have the 410 specs in front of me). With all the driver work that Cliff/M-Audio have done, the 410 still would appear to be the clear choice.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€Mostly because the M-Audio cards are based on the Envy24, not the newer Envy24HT (at least as far as I can tell). Since the Envy24 only supports 96kHz, there really would have been no point in using 192 capable parts. Furthermore, although 192 parts aren't that much more _now_, they might have been when the card was being spec'd/designed. Since the new cards (410/1010LT) are selling into a price-sensitive market, this would have been a concern.â€

Also the Delta 410 and 1010LT designs were started long before this chip was released. Both soundcards have been on the market for 6 months.

â€I checked the Via site, and their description of the Envy24HT is rather strange. It _sounds_ like there are actually A/D and D/A converters _on the chip_, in addition to the I2S outputs for driving external converters. Since there is no datasheet that I can find yet, I can't confirm this. It would explain the huge difference in A/D and D/A specs, though - the A/D would be an external part (probably Crystal, maybe AKM), and the D/A might use the internal parts.â€

Another reason for the difference is the D/A uses a “balanced†output and the A/D does not. A balanced output usually provides for ~6dB better spec than an unbalanced output/input. That still does not explain the “huge†difference between the input/output specs. My guess would be that the soundcard manufacturer is using the chip manufacturers specs derived in a controlled lab test (chip jig) and not a real world spec derived from the finished product.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.