Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John Howland published
VIA Issues - IDE and SoundBlaster Live, Update 2 on 14 May 2001.

As a whole I would say VIA produces a good, stable and compatible chipset. Too many other issues get blamed on VIA when they are not at fault, in my opinion. John Howland

Here are prior reports .

..Mike

------------------
Newbie snacks in xcel's HTPC FAQ & Favorites ¤ Ron Jones ¤ DC ¤ Radeon ¤ Keohi HDTV ¤ Don O'Brien D-ILA and the oft-mentioned archives .

Join AVSforum team to help Scotty (son of AVS moderator)
s> fight leukemia.

·
Registered
39 Posts
thats crap. any time I tried to install my sblive on my kt7a-raid, my system took a critical dump. I tried everything. I finally gave up and used my kt7a-raid for my home pc- cheap asound card works fine, and switched my HTPC to intel. NP

OLK

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Mike:

___Having used the KT133A chipsets for months of HTPC use now, I will pass on my comments. VIA has improved in a lot of areas over the older KX and KT133 chipsets but HTPC’s have to be less finicky than any other PC use I can think of. I have no problem considering a VIA chipset for any other PC use including a low budget non-SMP server given its stability but it still does not handle irq sharing or data transfer nearly as well as the Intel chipsets. This is where the problem lye’s. I have achieved a non-stuttering audio DVD playback from this chipset using both a Live Value II and an M-Audio AP2496 but I am still very afraid of incompatibilities in other areas as the VIA chipset always seems to bite you when you least expect it …

___If you have followed John H’s posts in the newsgroups over the years (both John’s and Dean’s activity in the HW newsgroups are legendary), you will see they know what they speak of but HTPC use is not something they are familiar with in the least from my past and recent reads of their posts.

___Lastly, the Creative Live Ware driver and application distro’s (they are still extremely bloated and should be completely culled on every installation) were released and used successfully long before the 686B South Bridge on the KT133 (A) was released and have had a very good track record with everything but Windows 2000. This should tell you that the compatibility testing of this VIA chipset from VIA themselves was not done as well as it should have been. How VIA missed this given there are more Live cards on their chipsets than any and probably all others combined should raise even more questions about VIA’s testing abilities in the PC stability and compatibility arena.

___You do not know how much I would love to give my customers or even the forum members the green light to go ahead and use the AMD/VIA solution and I totally agree that the AMD/VIA solution is the answer for most PC users now due to costs, performance, and stability but not for HTPC’s. The VIA/AMD solution is so much more cost effective than even an Intel PIII solution but most every VIA chipset HTPC builder has run into problems and why anyone wants to go through the VIA chipset headaches, is beyond me.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OLK, thanks for sharing your experience. Wayne, I read your "Best in Class" so you had already talked me out of AMD/VIA http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif . I found John H's observations interesting, hence this post. I'm conservative so I agree that right now, Intel cpu/Intel chipset is a safe configuration, more so for HTPC. Hopefully this statement won't be true forever.

Cheers,

..Mike

------------------
Newbie snacks in xcel's HTPC FAQ & Favorites ¤ Ron Jones ¤ DC ¤ Radeon ¤ Keohi HDTV ¤ Don O'Brien D-ILA and the oft-mentioned archives .

Join AVSforum team to help Scotty (son of AVS moderator)
s> fight leukemia.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.