AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a place near Victoria, BC and I woke up about a week ago to the shock and horror of my TV room having been broken into and my S4 V1's missing... The worst part of it is that they are only 2 speakers of my 7.1 system consisting of a signature sub, a c5, s8's, s2's, and of course the s4's... So incidently, anyone within a day's driving distance might want to check their local pawn shops for some cheap (and mint condition) s4's...

Anyways, to make matters worse, my trusted A/V dealer has informed me that even the S4's v2's have been discontinued... I guess I could do v2 ADP's but my preference has always been for monopoles all around. Also the V2's won't quite match the c1's in terms of their sound characteristics anyways, which is a problem for both the ADP and the S4's.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? Any thoughts on how I might be able to track some S4 v1's in good condition?

·
Registered
698 Posts
They broke in while you were sleeping!!!!!!!!!!!!! Either you are a very sound sleeper or you were kissing the bong
. in any case it's time for an alarm system. Lucky they didn't kill your wife and rape you.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb53 /forum/post/18272590

They broke in while you were sleeping!!!!!!!!!!!!! Either you are a very sound sleeper or you were kissing the bong
. in any case it's time for an alarm system. Lucky they didn't kill your wife and rape you.

I wish i could sleep for a week.

Sorry to hear about your loss man, how much did you have invested?

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Felgar,

Did you claim your speakers under your home owners/renters insurance?

Audiogon is a great place to find used gear. I am very sorry to hear about your loss; that's just awful.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
There's a pair of S4 on canuckaudiomart, but they don't say which v.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/18272913

Felgar,

Did you claim your speakers under your home owners/renters insurance?

Audiogon is a great place to find used gear. I am very sorry to hear about your loss; that's just awful.

Ya, I have a claim with the insurance, but since replacements aren't readily available from a store, there are some issues to work through. They lower the amount paid if you just take cash, which I'm thinking I'd have to do in order to buy a used pair but then the payout may not cover the full cost of them. Clearly I'll have to be in further discussions with the insurance company.

There are some S4 v2's on Audiogon. Any thoughts on how poorly matched the v1s and v2s would be in the same system?

I should also mention that the others are all cherry; otherwise I'd be following up on the ones on Canuck Audio Mart which are maple.

Anyways, looks like Audiogon and Canuck AM are the two best bets then for going used. Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
I assume the S4's were being used for surround sound duty? If so I doubt you'll hear much difference between the v.1 and v.2's unless you listen to a lot of multi-channel music. For mainly home theater it shouldn't be a problem.

In my opinion the v.2's are superior to the v.1s, what with the Beryllium tweeter and all. Its got the smoothness and detail of a ribbon, but also has better dispersion.

I hope everything works out for you.

Edit: I found a new pair of S4 v.1's for $2000. Here is the link.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the S4's were destined for Surround duties. I appreciate your thoughts on the sound differences. Great find on the v1's!!! If they were only Cherry! Argh... Difficult decision now; match the sound or the look...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts