AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is not in the correct section, please let me know.

Recently bought a Samsung UN55H7150. Have had zero issues running media direct from my PS4 using the TV's onboard audio. Finally got some motivation and dug out my Yamaha RXV2400 from the closet. Wired PS4 out to HDMI input on TV. Used the optical output on the PS4 direct to the RXV2400 and fired it up. There is a very noticable delay from an event on screen and the corresponding audio effect. Tried the optical out on the TV with the same issue. I have read through the manuals for both and this issue is not addressed.

The old combination of a Samsung PN42450B1D and PS3 ran together with the same audio chain with no noticeable delay.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Put the receiver as the center of the system with everything connected to it. The TV should be a peripheral just like the source components.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The odd part, for me at least, is it has been in this configuration for 8 years less the new TV and PS4 and worked with no delay. I am trying to avoid getting a new AVR, but if that is what it takes, I will.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Can you verify if it is the video that is lagging behind the audio or the audio that is lagging behind the video? Usually, the A/V lip sync issue is a result of the amount of time a digital display takes to to process the video, which can be in the hundreds of milliseconds, whereas the audio can be processed much faster. Therefore, usually, it is the video that is lagging behind the audio. If this is the case then you may be able to increase the audio delay in the game console's settings to match it up with the video. Unfortunately, because your AVR lacks HDMI, there is no way for the devices to automatically do this for you.

Alternatively, you could try disconnecting the optical cable from the game console and running it from your TV to the AVR instead. Your TV should be able to pass at least stereo audio from the game console to the AVR, from its HDMI Input to its Optical Output. Most cannot pass surround sound audio in this manner.

If it's actually the audio that is lagging behind the video then you may have a more serious problem as it should never take longer to process audio than it does for video. I would check the Audio Delay settings on the game console. It's possible that your old plasma took longer to process the video than your new set and that you had previously set the Audio Delay to match your plasma. If the new TV is faster at processing the video then the old audio delay would be too big. In that case, decreasing it may fix the problem. If the audio delay is already set to zero then I'm not sure how to fix your issue.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
The odd part, for me at least, is it has been in this configuration for 8 years less the new TV and PS4 and worked with no delay. I am trying to avoid getting a new AVR, but if that is what it takes, I will.
Hmm. So the PS4 is new and was never set up with your AVR and plasma. That kills my theory on the possible cause of the delay if, in fact, the audio is lagging behind the video, rather than the reverse. In that case, I would still check the Audio Delay setting in the PS4, but it seems unlikely to be the culprit. I doubt that it would have been set too high out of the box.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
You mentioned that the delay was still present when running optical from the TV to the AVR. Were you passing the audio from the PS4 thru the TV when you saw this or were you watching content from the TV's built-in tuner/streaming apps? Have you tried to play back different types of content from the PS4 (e.g. both games and movies) to see if the delay is the same?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You mentioned that the delay was still present when running optical from the TV to the AVR. Were you passing the audio from the PS4 thru the TV when you saw this or were you watching content from the TV's built-in tuner/streaming apps? Have you tried to play back different types of content from the PS4 (e.g. both games and movies) to see if the delay is the same?
The delay was there using the optical out from either the TV or the PS4.

I have used Netflix via the TV while using the optical out from the TV to the AVR and the delay is still there.

It is also there when using the PS4 for DVD and BluRay as well as games.

I pulled the PS3 out and will swap it with the PS4 and see if that effects it. I still have the plasma in another room and can swap that into the chain easily as well. I hope to try that tonight. I will report those findings as soon as I can test.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you verify if it is the video that is lagging behind the audio or the audio that is lagging behind the video? Usually, the A/V lip sync issue is a result of the amount of time a digital display takes to to process the video, which can be in the hundreds of milliseconds, whereas the audio can be processed much faster. Therefore, usually, it is the video that is lagging behind the audio. If this is the case then you may be able to increase the audio delay in the game console's settings to match it up with the video. Unfortunately, because your AVR lacks HDMI, there is no way for the devices to automatically do this for you.

Alternatively, you could try disconnecting the optical cable from the game console and running it from your TV to the AVR instead. Your TV should be able to pass at least stereo audio from the game console to the AVR, from its HDMI Input to its Optical Output. Most cannot pass surround sound audio in this manner.

If it's actually the audio that is lagging behind the video then you may have a more serious problem as it should never take longer to process audio than it does for video. I would check the Audio Delay settings on the game console. It's possible that your old plasma took longer to process the video than your new set and that you had previously set the Audio Delay to match your plasma. If the new TV is faster at processing the video then the old audio delay would be too big. In that case, decreasing it may fix the problem. If the audio delay is already set to zero then I'm not sure how to fix your issue.
It seems that it is the video that is lagging behind the audio. You hear the door slam just before you see it on screen. It isn't massively delayed, just enough to be annoying. I had a friend stop by yesterday and confirm yesterday.

I searched the menus on the PS4 and didn't find any settings for audio delay. Can you direct me where to go?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
It seems that it is the video that is lagging behind the audio. You hear the door slam just before you see it on screen. It isn't massively delayed, just enough to be annoying. I had a friend stop by yesterday and confirm yesterday.

I searched the menus on the PS4 and didn't find any settings for audio delay. Can you direct me where to go?
Apparently, the PS4 doesn't have an audio delay setting like some other Blu-Ray players do. If you see the same lip-sync issue with the PS3 sending audio to the AVR and video to your new TV then I think we can safely say that the issue is a result of your new TV taking longer to display the video than it takes your AVR to output the audio. Seeing as your current AVR doesn't have an audio delay setting, you have two options to fix this...

1) Try turning off some of extraneous video processing options on your TV. You could even try its "Game Mode" setting to see if that speeds it up enough to put things back in sync. If this still doesn't get you completely sync'd or if you would prefer not to have these video processing features turned off, then go with option #2 .

2) Get a new AVR that has HDMI and the ability to adjust audio delay. Typically you can set a different audio delay for each input, so if different sources are out of sync by different amounts, you can adjust the delay for each source and not have to mess with the setting ever again.

If the delay is only present when using the PS4 then it may just be an issue with the PS4 (which may or may not be fixable with a firmware update). However, until that happens, your options for an immediate fix are the same as the above.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
In between a sick 3year old and all the other things that come along with having kids, I am trying to test when I can. The PS4 and PS3 hooked via HDMI direct to either TV has no noticeable delay between audio and video when using the built in tv speakers. I am going to try organizing these.

PS4-HDMI to LED TV audio and video = no delay.
PS4-HDMI to LED TV video only Optical out to AVR = severe delay.
PS4-HDMI to Plasma TV audio and video = no delay.

PS3-HDMI to Led TV audio and video = no delay.

I will add combinations to this as time affords.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish I knew someone local with a capable AVR. It seems that would reduce the steps.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to go to my local hi fi store and see if they have a loaner HDMI receiver. Troubleshooting this has been fruitless. I appreciate the input and will update the thread if I get new information or find a fix.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found a friend and audio guy and he walked me through the menus. On this particular TV, there is an audio delay function. It was under speakers and another menu called additional settings. I was able to delay the optical output on the TV and eliminate that. The only remaining issue I have is the Sony Gold headphones I bought are direct from the PS4 and still have the delay. If anyone has any input on that I would appreciate it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts