AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TV picture goes out (totally black) for about 7 seconds when I'm watching TV. It usually happens when I change channels, but sometimes it happens in the middle of watching a program. Video card is Nvidia GeForce 9500GS. I am using HDMI for both video and audio.

The audio continues when this happens. Also, if I rewind the program, I can watch the video -- so it's there.

The PC is acting like it's checking or changing the video resolution. I have Win7 MC and the video card resolution both set to native -- 1920x1080 @ 60hz. I have tried changing to several other resolutions (like 1280x720), but the same thing happens.

Do you think I need a new video card? Any recommendations for a card with HDMI video/audio? I do not have a blue ray player in the PC. What do you think of Radeon HD5750 or Asus HDAV1.3?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

HP m9300t with Vista MC and 3GB RAM

Core2 Quad 6700 @ 2.67GHz

Nvidia GeForce 9500GS

ViXS PureTV-U 48B0 (NTSC/ATSC Combo)

Samsung 750 LCD

Yamaha RX-V863 receiver

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4240HDC cable box

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has is always done this?

I have a Nvidia geforce 8200 MB and I have terrible issues with HDMI and my LG TV. Screen blanking out every once an a while. It is something with the drivers and certain monitors. It goes away if you select video only in the Nvidia desktop control. This does not help with using HDMI and video and audio though.

I went so far as to buy a 9400gt install that and run a DVI to HDMI cable. that gave me a whole separate issue. (TV speakers popping, looking for audio)

I am not sure if this helps but go to the Nvidia Control Panel. Change resolution. connector, HDMI Audio only. See if this helps. (as a test)

Also what driver version are you using?

Interestingly enough my HP laptop with a 9200m works fine for video and audio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I connected a PC monitor to the video card (VGA) and it did not happen. Maybe it's a problem with the HDMI?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked through the Nvidia Control Panel but didn't see an option for HDMI audio only.

My driver version is 8.15.11.8627.

Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
upgrade to the newest NVidia drivers. (you can always go back) the option should be in there. I have done many hours of trouble shooting with this PC and my TV. In the end I have delegated its use to an older TV via S-video.

The kick in the pants is that even if this solves your video issue .... you now have to use a separate cable for Audio and video. Luckily I have an optical out on my MB and the HDMI. so I can use this combination. But still not a great answer.

If you are like me knowing the answer will still be worth it. Even if its not the answer you want to hear. Post back if you try it I would be interested to hear if you have a similar issue. I have reported this to Nvidia multiple times.

I will say that it has gotten better as the first drivers I used 185 the black screen was every few seconds. As I upgraded it became every few minutes. Now it is just random and only when watching video in full screen. Totally goes away when I use the video only option.

Sorry I cannot give you a screen shot as the computer is hooked up to my other TV via S-video so it does not show me the option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I upgraded to nVidia driver 8.17.11.9621, but still have the same problem. I also noticed that on one of my channels (NBC HD on antenna), the video goes completely black unless I drop from full screen down to a window.

I am ready to dump the nVidia card. Any recommendations on a video card that can handle HD broadcast?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK - some new data - The problem went away when I connected the PC directly to the LCD TV (using HDMI) and bypassed the Yamaha receiver - any ideas on why the Yamaha is having problems processing the video?

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts