AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get a RGB (vga) cable for my LT150 and Im wondering if spending hundreds of dollars for a 25 foot cable is worth it. Is there a real world advantage or can I put some of that money somewhere else?

What brands have you guys used?

Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
I purchased a 25' VGA 'Premium' High Resolution cable manufactured by Comprehensive. It is shielded and well-constructed. It cost just under $50 and a local pro video dealer. I'm using this between and iSCAN and an AE100 and the quality is great.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I custom made this myself. Look at the less resistance and the 75 ohm impedance specifications. Cost about $165 for 30 feet.

From the photos, the stock computer cable is half the size of the V5-3C. Both ends can be fitted with HD15 VGA connector.

http://www.pbase.com/chyeow/inbox

CH Yeow

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
To some extent, higher cost is worth it as video is more sensitive than audio for most people. Thus quality cables are important; however, www.pccables.com mentioned earlier is a decent, high quality cable. At 25 feet there will be no problem (they have a MBG against quality issues). Just make sure you buy the SVGA and not the VGA cables. I use this brand personally with my LT150 at 25 feet and I LOVE my cable. I'm sure the more expensive cable is 'better' but you may not see the difference in quality :D. Save your money and buy some DVDs or better yet a HTPC which really shows LT150's power.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was having a hard time convincng myself that I needed to spend hundreds on a single cable. Glad to hear the more down to earth ones work well.

Ill put the extra money into a HDTV decoder for my HTPC.:)

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
While we're talking about cables, I'm currently building my Theater which will have a ceiling mounted 75u (two RGB/VGA, composite, s-video). What should I run for cables? I was thinking of buying three of the 25' SVGA cables at pccables. Two for the projector to the rack, and one for the rack to my console area (Dreamcast). Beyond that, should I really worry about running s-video or even composite cables from either the rack to the projector or from the console area to the rack. Can I use the one VGA cable for X-box (Don't own) or PS-2 (Do own). Reading the problems about PS2 to projectors, I bought the Dreamcast specifically for gaming.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Have you considered a VGA switcher? Belkin's E series can handle the required resolutions no sweat and is reasonably priced. Huey posted some good prices on it somewhere here...

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
What does a VGA switcher buy me? The 75u has two VGA ports already, so it's much cheaper to just run two VGA cables to the projector. I'm thinking I'll leave it at that. If I need s-video, composite or something else, I'll get a viewsonic vb50 and convert to VGA.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
why don't you use a PVC pipe instead so if you need to run future cables you can? That way if you upgrade PJ, you'll have the cable angle covered.

The Belkin Omniview E series was $55 for 4->1 or $45 for 2->1 from www.harmonycomputers.com (search for Belkin Omniview).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Which of the following would produce better quality?

1: A/V Receiver -> Short S-Video cable -> VB50HRTV -> Long VGA cable -> Projector

2: A/V Receiver -> Long S-Video Cable -> VB50HRTV -> Short VGA cable -> Projector

A good long VGA cable was recommended above. Would the long S-Video cable have to be high quality because of the length (probably 12'-15')?

Thanks for the help, all.

MArk

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Yes Svideo should be good quality to avoid loss and interference, especially those over 3 feet. At 12 to 15 feet, PC Cables have cost-effective Svideo cables also. I bought mine at www.cdw.com for 50 foot Belkin Silver Series Svideo cable for $28 shipped. I'm very happy with mine.

IMHO, the 2nd scenario (long Svideo and short VGA cables) will give the best quality due to multiple signals of VGA tend to get more interference.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes, I agree with Huey (and who wouldn’t), use PVC pipe. Anyone who ignores the opportunity to put PVC pile behind sheetrock and passes it up isn't right in the head.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.