AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start getting into quasi-professional grade video calibration, graduating from the Disney Wow BD. Haha. There's a huge need for that where I live, with many people having awesome displays, but just poorly set up (even by the "professionals"). I'd love to help out my friends and future clients.

Doing some shopping, I'm seeing an overwhelming amount of options. If there's ANY way I can keep it under a grand, that would be awesome. What do you guys see as the most bang for the buck these days? I won't be setting up commercial theaters, pro studios, or anything needing that level of calibration, so it's not like I need a $20,000 system with a million options I'll never use. I mainly just want to efficiently bring the best out of any display I work with.

Opinions?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Also at some point you might follow up with the purchase of a spectrophotometer in addition to the ChromaPure package. The colorimeter's calibration will eventually drift and having the spectro will give you to ability to re-profile the colorimeter accurately. The enhanced colorimeter shipped with the ChromaPure package has already been profiled to lab-grade equipment to compensate for factory out-of-the-box variances and from what I've seen anecdotally here, that calibration should last you at least a year or so as long as the colorimeter isn't mishandled.

I bought a used Gretag-Macbeth i1 Pro spectro on eBay for $175, about the same price as ChromaPure's colorimeter recalibration service.

With those two purchases you should have the basic equipment for good, quality calibrations well in hand and if you feel it's necessary you can always upgrade later as your experience and capabilities grow.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Also at some point you might follow up with the purchase of a spectrophotometer in addition to the ChromaPure package. The colorimeter's calibration will eventually drift and having the spectro will give you to ability to re-profile the colorimeter accurately. The enhanced colorimeter shipped with the ChromaPure package has already been profiled to lab-grade equipment to compensate for factory out-of-the-box variances and from what I've seen anecdotally here, that calibration should last you at least a year or so as long as the colorimeter isn't mishandled.

I bought a used Gretag-Macbeth i1 Pro spectro on eBay for $175, about the same price as ChromaPure's colorimeter recalibration service.

With those two purchases you should have the basic equipment for good, quality calibrations well in hand and if you feel it's necessary you can always upgrade later as your experience and capabilities grow.
How do you compare this to Calman5?

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Nice! Great info. Looks like that may be the ticket!

Any chance the ChromaPure set up would be enough if I were to get THX certified (http://www.thx.com/professional/home-theater-installer/the-thx-training-advantage/) and offer video calibration services on the consumer level?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Awesome. So perhaps I can start out with the standard kit, master that, and then upgrade to a professional license if/when I start charging for it?
That's the ticket. You need to learn the basics first of course and the standard version gives you all you need for that purpose. It takes awhile.

Also, purchasing CP now will give you a free ($79 Value) to ChromaPure 3 when it comes out in about a month.

·
Registered
533 Posts
(goes to anyone, and generally gets completely ignored by the training institutions)
Whilst you are in the learning throws research about running a small business, look into taxes and rules and regulations you might face.

Quite often(depending on local laws and regs) doing things in the right order can makes things somewhat cost effective. ie Forming a business before purchasing major equipment or getting training could be claimed as a tax loss. So talk to the professionals before hand, even though it might cost a fee. A simple piece of knowledge might save you alot of money down the track.

You might also find that the running costs exceed income generated from sales.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the ticket. You need to learn the basics first of course and the standard version gives you all you need for that purpose. It takes awhile.

Also, purchasing CP now will give you a free ($79 Value) to ChromaPure 3 when it comes out in about a month.
Nice. Good to know!

(goes to anyone, and generally gets completely ignored by the training institutions)
Whilst you are in the learning throws research about running a small business, look into taxes and rules and regulations you might face.

Quite often(depending on local laws and regs) doing things in the right order can makes things somewhat cost effective. ie Forming a business before purchasing major equipment or getting training could be claimed as a tax loss. So talk to the professionals before hand, even though it might cost a fee. A simple piece of knowledge might save you alot of money down the track.

You might also find that the running costs exceed income generated from sales.
Definitely. I'm in the middle of forming my HT company now for that very reason. SO many start up costs involved. I ordered some of my stock already just to do small job, but waiting until the company is in motion before ordering anything else. Hoping to make a living off it SOMEDAY, but in the meanwhile it'd be nice to have these things listed as official business expenditures since that's the ultimate goal of this anyway. Looking forward to learning some legit video calibration!!! Should be fun.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
I'm a newbie here. I have a Samsung HU9000 UHD tv and I want to learn how to calibrate it. I'm retired and this is a new hobby for me and not a profession. I may only calibrate one or two TVs. After reading several forums i'm seeing ChromaPure or Calman software with a good meter is the way to go. I'm looking to understand which is the best, easiest package with good step by step instructions to use for a newbie like myself even if it means not getting the nth degree of perfection, 99% is fine. I'm just going crazy because everyone has their own favorite so i'm looking for suggestions from users like myself who have gone down this path before.

Thanks in advance,
John

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm a newbie here. I have a Samsung HU9000 UHD tv and I want to learn how to calibrate it. I'm retired and this is a new hobby for me and not a profession. I may only calibrate one or two TVs. After reading several forums i'm seeing ChromaPure or Calman software with a good meter is the way to go. I'm looking to understand which is the best, easiest package with good step by step instructions to use for a newbie like myself even if it means not getting the nth degree of perfection, 99% is fine. I'm just going crazy because everyone has their own favorite so i'm looking for suggestions from users like myself who have gone down this path before.

Thanks in advance,
John
John,

A really good option would be to go with the i1Display Pro (EODIS3) you can find it here at a good price....http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-EODIS3-i1Display-Pro/dp/B0055MBQOW

plus X-Rite has an additional $50 rebate right now...http://www.rapid-rebates.com/xrite/Home/LoadLanding/XR151891

As far as software goes you can use the free HCFR software found here on the forums...http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...e-projector-display-calibration-software.html.

Or for a more user friendly step by step workflow and more hand holding I like Chromapure found here....http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure.shtm

Reactions: valkenaar

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
John,

A really good option would be to go with the i1Display Pro (EODIS3) you can find it here at a good price....http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-EODIS3-i1Display-Pro/dp/B0055MBQOW

plus X-Rite has an additional $50 rebate right now...http://www.rapid-rebates.com/xrite/Home/LoadLanding/XR151891

As far as software goes you can use the free HCFR software found here on the forums...http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...e-projector-display-calibration-software.html.

Or for a more user friendly step by step workflow and more hand holding I like Chromapure found here....http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure.shtm
Thanks, I need the hand holding, I'll take a look at them. BTW someone said that a new meter was coming out shortly. Do you have any information on that?
John

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks, I need the hand holding, I'll take a look at them. BTW someone said that a new meter was coming out shortly. Do you have any information on that?
John
John,

New meters come out all of the time not sure which one you are referring to but for basically $150 for a pro grade meter for minimal use, it's hard to go wrong.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts