AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is in the correct forum:

I am trying to find an indoor video camera, or possibly a camera plus some intermediate device, to view live video on an HDTV in at least 720p resolution. Camera should be always on, or at least controllable via remote control (will be ceiling mounted, limiting access). Cameras I have located are either based around a security system and have limited resolution or are computer or computer network based. Would prefer to source a camera that can output directly to TV via component or hdmi. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I have a Pansonic HDC=SDT750. It came with an HDMI cord and remote. When plugged into with the HDMI cord you see a live picture. The camera is part of the TM700/SD800/TM900 family.

My guess is that most camcorders with an HDMI out port will do this.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I would think just about any HD camera with hdmi output would work. We have been using a Canon (HV20?) for a year or so now, couple of hours per week, as a stage monitor for our video production at church. What remote functions do you need? On-Off, focus, zoom, exposure, pan and tilt? Pan & Tilt, you'd need special apparatus. Other operations? Wireless line-of-sight, Lanc cable? Check specs on current cameras.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The only downside that I can see with the Panny TM lines (at least with TM700 and TM900) is that they have a fan. The unit gets darn hot with extended use. Not sure if you want to do that to the unit if you have long recording sessions.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah /forum/post/20933276

The only downside that I can see with the Panny TM lines (at least with TM700 and TM900) is that they have a fan. The unit gets darn hot with extended use. Not sure if you want to do that to the unit if you have long recording sessions.

Not necessarily true. I use my TM700 exclusively outside in the sun on 90+ degree days from 3-5 hours at a time. It gets warm but so would any other camcorder.

I think "darn hot" is a little overblown.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah /forum/post/20933276

The fan is there exactly to prevent the camcorder from getting darn hot.

·
Registered
382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy /forum/post/20935828

Why would he need manual control for camera that is ceiling mounted?

That is a very good question.

And how many users of the small low priced camcorders use or really need manual controls?

·
Registered
884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotase /forum/post/20935437

Not necessarily true. I use my TM700 exclusively outside in the sun on 90+ degree days from 3-5 hours at a time. It gets warm but so would any other camcorder.

I think "darn hot" is a little overblown.

@dakotase, yes, the TM700 had not shut down due to over heating yet but from my experience, I have mounted the camcorder on a big metal tripod mount and a plastic one with a metal stud. When on the metal mount, the mount is warm to the touch with extended use. I am guessing it acts like a big heat sink and dissipates the heat. When using the plastic mount with metal stud, I remember one time unmounting after a long time lapse shoot and almost "burned" my finger. Of course it was not a burn but a very big ouch. This time, I think because the stud is the only metal part to touch the TM700, it just became so hot that it concerned me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/20935547

The fan is there exactly to prevent the camcorder from getting darn hot.

@Ungermann, yes the fan is there to cool the unit down. But not many consumer camcorder requires a fan. It just tells us this unit can build up too much heat so the manufacturer opted to include a fan, even though it's another moving part AND it creates noise.

So I an not saying the unit will fail but given my experiences, I would be very hesitant to run the TM700 for extended periods of time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts