AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many people on this forum - want to convert 50 or so VHS tapes to DVD.

Plan A: a Panasonic DMR - EZ38K, don't need a tuner, the simplest solution

Plan B: a Panasonic DMR - EZ18k and a seperate VCR ( also a Panasonic )

Plan C: adding a video capture card to my computer and using it's Roxio DVD burner to create the DVD's captured from an older VCR to play on Panasonic older VCR-DVD comdo player.

Have read 100's of posts on this forum on this subject, all these plans have good points and bad.

Goal - Save old VHS tapes to DVD in an economical way, editing not important, best playback on a 50 inch plasma TV critical, why waist the time if play back so-so. Recently played back some of the VHS tapes and surprised

at how watchable they were - but know they need to be converted to DVD disks to preserve the info and for storage size.

So - DigaDo, jjeff, or any other members, can you steer me in the best direction to meet my goal? Thanks

ttwomotor

·
Registered
11,724 Posts
Unless you want to try a older ES series Panasonic (like the '06 ES-15 or similar or even the great '05 ES-30v combo with dual displays) I'd probably suggest the EA-18 and a external VHS. The EA-38 would be another option but for flexibility and conveyance I'd suggest the separates. It also seems the current combos (thought very little reported on the EA-38) are more problematic than the standard DVDRs.

I've never used a computer for that task but it seems many people that have gone that route end up looking here for a standalone solution. This tells me while using a PC you're capable of nicer looking titles/thumbnails etc. but it can be a chore for simple use. Kind of like building your own DVR with a PC, many people seem to try it but a fair number end up giving up and looking for a standalone route.

If you're on a tight budget and you want to stick to 2hrs/disc you may want to try a ~$100 Toshiba or other Funai DVDR w/o tuner. While I feel Panasonics make better recordings, on SP it's less obvious. Even with a Panny I'd try and not go much over 3hrs in FR per standard DVD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.