AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AVerMedia C027 PCIe HD Capture Device.

My Samsung VHS-DVD recorder with HDMI output has become unreliable. I hope this is temporary.
I am now required to use an older LiteON VHS-DVD recorder which has Component RBG output.

I recently captured commercial VHS movie source through the Component connection to the AverMedia PCIe card.
The resulting file is an mpg with 720x480 resolution.

The specifications on this PCIe card state that it is capable of capturing at 1080i resolution through the Component connection.

I have gone through the Settings on the card four times. Apparently I do not understand how to configure the Settings in order to accomplish the 1080 resolution capture.

First, will someone please walk me through the proper Settings on this card for 1080i capture.

And B, will someone please direct me to a qualified VHS repair center in the Tampa Fl area. Yes, I am also researching this on my own, but your knowledgeable advice is worth my asking.

All help appreciated.
[email protected]

·
Registered
15,043 Posts
I have an AVerMedia C027 PCIe HD Capture Device.

My Samsung VHS-DVD recorder with HDMI output has become unreliable. I hope this is temporary.
I am now required to use an older LiteON VHS-DVD recorder which has Component RBG output.

I recently captured commercial VHS movie source through the Component connection to the AverMedia PCIe card.
The resulting file is an mpg with 720x480 resolution.

The specifications on this PCIe card state that it is capable of capturing at 1080i resolution through the Component connection.

I have gone through the Settings on the card four times. Apparently I do not understand how to configure the Settings in order to accomplish the 1080 resolution capture.

First, will someone please walk me through the proper Settings on this card for 1080i capture.
Your HD Capture device is able to record an HD 1080i video signal when that's the resolution of the incoming video signal -- e.g. broadcast HDTV. However, VHS video is not 1080i: it's only 480i. You can't record what's not there. Instead you should record your videos at either 480i or 480p and upscale the resulting standard-definition video files when you watch them. (Every HD TV upscales SD signals automatically to match the resolution of the display.)

And B, will someone please direct me to a qualified VHS repair center in the Tampa Fl area. Yes, I am also researching this on my own, but your knowledgeable advice is worth my asking.
Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with repair services in the Tampa area.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Video Capture, Digitizing VHS material

Thank you Selden Bell
Now that I have been duly and graciously humbled; how silly of me!

I apparently had a Senior Moment. What you point out is obvious and elementary.

I feel as though I have been caught using my car key to try and open my house door.

Now I have a question regarding SATA Port Multiplier hardware.
Which Forum do you recommend as appropriate for such Q?

·
Registered
15,043 Posts
Thank you Selden Bell
Now that I have been duly and graciously humbled; how silly of me!

I apparently had a Senior Moment. What you point out is obvious and elementary.
No problem. We all have them. Including me. :(
I feel as though I have been caught using my car key to try and open my house door.
;)

Now I have a question regarding SATA Port Multiplier hardware.
Which Forum do you recommend as appropriate for such Q?
Here at AVS, it'd be the HTPC sub-forum: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/
Of course, there are *lots* of non-audio forums where you could ask about it. I tend not to frequent them, though.

Note that Port Multiplier support has to be included in the SATA chipset used in the computer. I was annoyed to discover that it isn't supported by the chipset used in my laptop, for example, after I had bought a dual-socket external SATA unit to use with its ESATA port. Fortunately, the box could be used with USB, too, although with much lower performance. It's a 4-year-old laptop, though, so that support probably is much more common now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SATA Port Multiplier Stough & Junque

To Selden Bell

I too ran into the irritation of my socket 1150 Z97 chipset mobo not being port multiplier capable. What the heck mobo designer guys!

My system being a tower setup I was able to solve the problem by installing a four port SATA PCIe card which is port multiplier capable, and now my dual slot SATA drive dock addresses both drives via a eSATA cable connection by way of one of the card's SATA ports. Happy Days! Plus the drive dock unit also has USB3 capability.

FWIW, be aware such PCIe cards are typically x2 or x4 devices. A two SATA port card might be PCIe x1 style, I forget.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts