AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am planning to build an HTPC and I reviewed much of the info and recommendations here; thx. Main features of the planned system are below:

-MSI G45M-FIDR Intel G45 mATX Motherboard

-E8500 Core2 Duo Processor

-Zalman 160Plus ATX Media Center Case

-Zalman 500W, Heatpipe PSU

-4GB Memory (overkill, but memory appears cheap)

-750 GB SATA

-LG Blu-Ray DVD-ROM SATA Combo

I presently plan to use the integrated VGA, but I'd like to add a TV Tuner or Video capture card for either PVR or for capture from an external source. Any recommendations? While I reviewed, comments appeared limited on this topic. Comments welcome on the planned HTPC as well. Thank you.

Scott

·
Registered
10,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin22 /forum/post/15425078

Hello,

I am planning to build an HTPC and I reviewed much of the info and recommendations here; thx. Main features of the planned system are below:

-MSI G45M-FIDR Intel G45 mATX Motherboard

-E8500 Core2 Duo Processor

-Zalman 160Plus ATX Media Center Case

-Zalman 500W, Heatpipe PSU

-4GB Memory (overkill, but memory appears cheap)

-750 GB SATA

-LG Blu-Ray DVD-ROM SATA Combo

I presently plan to use the integrated VGA, but I'd like to add a TV Tuner or Video capture card for either PVR or for capture from an external source. Any recommendations? While I reviewed, comments appeared limited on this topic. Comments welcome on the planned HTPC as well. Thank you.

Scott

You might want to look at the Gateway FX6800-01 at Best Buy. I normally hesitate to suggest a pre-built box, but this is an amazing system for the price and a great HTPC. It comes with Vista Home Premium and a Radeon 4850 video card. I have 4850s in both my PCs and they're great for home theater. Add a SATA Blu-ray drive ($89 at Newegg), Vista Media Center Remote ($30 at the Egg) and you're ready to go. You may need AnyDVD HD for playback, depending on your HDTV, and a program like PowerDVD 8 Ultra, but you'll need those anyway, even if you build it yourself. When you start adding up the costs, this pre-built looks more and more reasonable. Of course, you'll deny yourself the "joy" of building your own system, but I've always thought of that as an over-rated pleasure. Plus, it's warrantied.

Edit: You will want to upgrade to the latest Catalyst drivers for the 4850, to get control over Video/PC levels. Also, if you want AnyDVD HD, get it before the end of the day, or you'll pay a yearly subscription fee.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.