AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading about CX23881 Capture Cards, AIWs, etc. and it seems there's got to be a better way!

Are there any PCI based controller that can directly receive a signal from a DBS dish (i.e. replacing the satellite receiver completely)?

It seems like the video quality should be far better if instead of:

decode->display as s-video->encode->scale->display via DVI

we had:

download digitally->decrypt->scale->display via DVI

Is there any hardware/software combo out there that can turn a HTPC into an DirectTiVo competitor?

-Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
dwx,

Another option is at www.169time.com

169Time adds a 1394/Firewire port to select DirectTV receivers.

You can then pipe the Firewire output into a digital VCR or PCI Firewire capture card.

On a tangent.... check out Hauppauge's UK site at www.hauppauge.co.uk

I found the breadth of digital/satellite TV capture cards on the UK standard susprising. The site is high quality compared to the shappy US site.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ParkerV
On a tangent.... check out Hauppauge's UK site at www.hauppauge.co.uk

I found the breadth of digital/satellite TV capture cards on the UK standard susprising. The site is high quality compared to the shappy US site.
These cards will be useless for US based DBS systems, especially DirectTV. They do work fine for FTA DVB transmissions, but I don't think that is what the original poster is looking for.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Another option is to use a Dish/Bev PVR.

You can then put the PVR HD your PC and rip the recorded programs.

They play back perfect using DVD software, and you can even make a DVD without reencoding and playback in most standalone players.

All the info and programs are in the yahoo group dishrip.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dishrip/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.