AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of rebuilding my HTPC to work with a new Panny 37" EDTV plasma. I'm currently using a Matrox P650 video card, chosen because it supports the native 852x480 resolution of the plasma, which ATI cards do not (AFAIK). My *theory* is that bypassing the panel's internal scaler will produce better picture quality, but I don't know how important that factor is compared to outright video quality and getting proper adjustments.

Running the Matrox with TheaterTek 1.5, my initial impression of the video quality was pretty underwhelming - colors are washed out, overall picture is somewhat fuzzy - basically not the WOW! experience I had with the previous ATI 9x00 card - which was undoubtedly due in some part to the fact that TT has scoped settings for the ATI cards out of the box and not for the Matrox.

Would appreciate any input on whether to go about tweaking the Matrox settings or replace it with an ATI card (no longer have the previous card, so I'd have to buy one in order to do back-to-back testing):

1. What's the best way to proceed in adjusting the video settings? I've got Avia, but I don't believe it provides test patterns or a process for gamma adjustment, which is clearly need with the Matrox card - brightness and contrast alone won't be sufficient. Are there other programs/test sources that will support accurate calibration of all the video adjustments?

2. Even if properly adjusted, would an ATI card (say 9600 series) be expected to significantly outperform the Matrox for TheaterTek, despite not supporting the panel's native resolution (obviously depends on the quality of the Panny scaler, which based on NTSC source alone isn't great)?

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Skip

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.