AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading lots and lots, I have to stop and ask.

I'm close to decided on a mobo, and processor.

I'm to the video cards, and am really confused. It sounds like I need 10 cards:eek:, well, slight exaggeration. Hoping I can get some of this cleared up.

I've read real good things about the Sigma Designs xCard for low CPU processing, and excellent picture. (But better to push sound through the amp...I'm OK with this.) As I don't yet have a progressive DVD, sounds good to me. Check off card 1.

Now, I understand to get PVR capabilities, I need something like the Haupauge PVR card (250-350). Check off card 2.

Now it seems I need a video card. I haven't decided much on that yet. See lots of comments on driver problems with Radeons, need to do more studying. Check off card 3.

I would like to record one thing while watching another. Need a second PVR card? Check off card 4

I would like to get HD Tuner card. Check off card 5.

Wow. Am I nuts? Can all this be hooked up? (Wheh):D

OH...and have been reading about dScaler. Maybe that should be another thread. I started to look into that, and that's when I decided my head was about to explode.:rolleyes:

Thanks

Roger

·
Registered
649 Posts
Well...

A couple quick and easy bites for you.

Radeons have some of the best 2d quality, especially for tv out. Matrox has always been the 2d king, though.

If you're looking for an "everything in the box" type of card, then an all-in-wonder is going to be your best bet, but watch out for dscaler.

If you do want dscaler to work, then I would recommend going with a normal radeon card for your output and a tv tuner card with the bt878 chipset. There are tons out there for ~$50, but I've heard many good things about the Leadtek tv2000xp. Keep in mind though, that if you're wanting to make use of the ati software (tv program and such), then the tv wonder ve is supposed to work fairly well with dscaler, nowdays. I'm currently debating whether to get the tv2000xp or tv wonder, myself.

I hope that helps, a little. I also hope that I don't get flamed into oblivion.

Hehehe...

JJ

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doubl]

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I presume your fear about being flamed is due to the ATI recs. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on this site (that's why my head is about to explode...I think I'm mixing too much?)...anyway, it seems like there are a lot of people having problems with drivers for those cards. So, I'm wary of them.

With regard to dScaler...I don't know what I want to work. What I want is, of course, the highest quality picture I can get, (at somehwat reasonable cost...the $1200 Faroudja capable card is more than I want to spend).

I've already listed the functionality I want, more or less. Won't do that again.

At this point, I'm thinking like this:

1. Can't do HD from Satellite, in fact can't do PVR from satellite. So, the best I can do is keep using the Ultimate TV. Then does it make sense to feed that through the HTPC? Get better (albeit not HD) picture? End up with de-interlaced picture? (Or is it already?...Sorry, I'm learning here). If this is the case, What should I feed it through?

2. Get a HD TV card of some kind to receive OTA HD. I could do PVR with that if I want, right?

3. To get higher quality DVD, get the xCard. (Do I have to feed that with a standalone DVD player, or from a DVD in the PC?...Oh, I can go study on that).

Or for DVD, do I use DVD player in PC, through a video card that uses dScaler?

4. Wait for some other solution for HD from satellite, that I'm willing to pay for.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I think the concensus is that a bt878 tv tuner card with dscaler will present the best quality picture for analog feeds (cable, satellite, etc...). To use dtuner with your satellite you may have to feed from the receiver to the tv in card via s-video or composite (s-video will give better quality than composite). I'm going to assume that your satellite signal is interlaced, so dscaler would improve. Grant that I only use analog cable, so I'm not the best resource for satellite stuff.

OTA HD will be nice, if you have good signals in your area (mine is sorely lacking). I believe that there is HD recording software, but I have no experience with that.

I don't know about the xCard.

I use my dvd drive with PowerDVD. Some talk about WinDVD and different filters. I don't have any problems with PowerDVD and I think it looks good.

HD from satellite will surely be expensive and slow.

JJ

·
Registered
129 Posts
bt878 is 8-bit process. Philips SAA713x 9-bit. Conexant 2388x is 10-bit. They all priced closely so the logic is to get only 2388x like Leadtek tv2000xp Expert (Don't buy Deluxe edition, it's bt878 based) or if you have a jvc s-vhs vcr or similar, go get Prolink XCapture with no tuner.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me see if I have this figured out, or at least close.

1. Hi Def Local Receiving

Get something like the MyHD card

2. Improve quality/de-interlace Satellite Signal

Put in something like the Leadtek tv2000xp Expert listed above. According to their web site, it supports deinterlacing. Does that mean I don't need dScaler? (Or do I want it, because it's better?)

3. PVR (Personal Video Recorder)

According to Leadtek's web site, I can use the Leadtek card for PVR. But if I want SageTV, or Snapstream, neither of those support that card, so I would need Haupauge WiN PVR 250 or 350.

4. Video Card

I don't know. I need something. Still need to figure out what. I'm just trying to figure out the right combination for the above 3.

5. DVD - Delinterlace

I about forgot this one. Will my DVD in the HTPC play through something listed above? Need dScaler, right?

How's it looking? Not there yet...

Thanks

Roger

P.S.: Sure seems strange to need so many darned tuners. The next quandary will be what the heck to I hook to what.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I know this isn't helping, but some of the HD cards like the MyHD can also capture from non-HD sources. Of course they're not as powerful as the hardware encoding cards like the WinTV PVR-250, but if you want to suffer through it you could get by with one single TV tuner. Also myhtpc gottv plugin supports the FusionHDTV and 250/350.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jflatt

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I'm not so concerned that I buy so many cards. I am concerned if I am even on the right track. Can I put that many cards in the system, and do what I want? I haven't been able to get an answer on that. My comment about so many is that it does seem strange to need so many.

Sure would be nice to see a diagram that shows a fully loaded HTPC like I'm talking about, and what feeds what, etc. There's a lot of information on this site, but for a newbie, with all the acronyms, and all, it is very difficult.

So, can someone give me a though on the list above, 1-5?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dpeng
bt878 is 8-bit process. Philips SAA713x 9-bit. Conexant 2388x is 10-bit. They all priced closely so the logic is to get only 2388x like Leadtek tv2000xp Expert (Don't buy Deluxe edition, it's bt878 based) or if you have a jvc s-vhs vcr or similar, go get Prolink XCapture with no tuner.
Logical. I have had both and the Phillips gives a better picture because the noise immunity is much better. You also want the 7133 which is the FLyVideo 3000 or the Compro VideoMate. I have also had bt878 cards and they are washed out by comparison.

I have a Tivo and can record two things while I watch two different things on my HTPC. Trying to make an HTTP Tivo-like is not necessarily going to be as useful as you might think. On the other hand for SD processing via dscaler its hard to beat. Of course I watch the Tivo through dscaler on the HTPC.

I don't have any direct experience with an HD card for the PC but I suspect that they will pretty much tie the PC up such that you won't be doing much other than watching. It does not work well to watch dscaler and record with a different card at the same time becuase you run out of CPU.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Of course I watch the Tivo through dscaler on the HTPC
IUnknown: What card are you using to feed the Tivo through, and use DScaler?

I too have a recorder, but it's Ultimate TV.

I was thinking about buying PVR stuff, in order to be prepared to record HD. But, I have finally come to the conclusion that right now I cannot do any PVR recording of HD; may be able to record some, but not with good PVR functionality; and it would use LOTS of HD space. So, I'm giving up on PVR for now. I'll keep with my Ultimate TV. (The HD recording devices right now are very few and far in between, and $1K when you find them. So, I had thought I could record to PVR/HTPC, and save some $. Maybe if I give it some time.)

I had strong leanings on purchasing the Leadtek tv2000xp Expert

This card can provide PVR if I want to mess with it. But it is not supported by Snapstream or Sage.

BUT...I just checked a dScaler web site, and apparently it does not work well with it. Saw rave review by someone of the card, but no dScaler support.

Boy, all the permutations and combinations...

So, here is where I am for now:

No PVR card. Wait to see what happens.

Probably a MyHD card for HD OTA.

I'm on the search now for a Conexant 2388x based card that works with dScaler, which I will run my Satellite through.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.