AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, just wondering if anyone knows about this. I want to simply output my computer to my TV via S-Video for basic activities (web surfing, email, burning cds, ect). Im not really interested in dvd or movie playback (although the HD Quicktime previews look cool but im not ready to upgrade the whole computer). So anyone have any ideas, i have a cheap no-name card now that only outputs 800x600 on s-video and the DVI out on the card only works on my tv until windows boots up, then nadda. thanks everyone.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You are lucky if you can get your S-video to actually send 800x600 over S-vieo and not just a 480i (S-Video) image of an 800x600 display.

Unless you have a very top end CRT TV capable of scanning 1080i lines you will never gert a decent image of PC applications on your TV since TVs are desingned only for video and not for PC graphics. If you have a fixed pixel TV such as a plasma, LCD, DLP, or LCOS then you have to be sure that any resolutin your are sending over DVI is one that your TV user manual says it will accept over DVI and for best PC usage you should send whatever is the native resoluton of your fixed pixel TV. Most new TVs with DVI interfaces will accept 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i or may be only a subset of these.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You really don't want to use 480i S-Video. Believe me. If your TV has DVI input it should be possible to make your video card output something that it can display. You may need Powerstrip in order to do it. You need to tell us what video card and what TV if you want more detailed help getting your computer to display on your TV with decent quality.

- Mike

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry for the delay in responding. The TV is a CRT samsung HD-Ready. 1 DVI, 2 Component, 1 S-Video. I have my up-scaling DVD player on the DVI and my DVR on comp. 1 and my PSII on comp 2. So i really dont want to use the DVI on the TV for the computer (Plus it doesnt work anyway, it iwill only display the computer on the TV on DVI until before the windows splash screen comes up)

The Video card is an Nvida TNT, 32meg (yes i know it is OLD). It supports resloutuons up to 2048 x 1536 when i have a monitor pluged in, but over s-video the only option is 800x600 and the picture is pillarboxed on the TV (black bars to the left and right).

Thanks for the responses, i just want to not have to have a computer desk with a monitor because i live in a tiny apartment and all i use this computer for is to burn dvd's and occasionally some other PC only software stuff. I would like to try using it to import programs of of my DVR using the firewire ports, which i currently do on my mac. Anyway, thanks again

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
It seems that your bigger problem is that you don't have any available inputs on your TV. The up-scaling DVD player would not be necessary if you got the HTPC working correctly on the DVI input. If you want to pursue it, you need to use either DVI or Component on the TV and I would recommend a more recent video card, at least something in the GeForce series. However, the TNT may work for Windows desktop. Video decoding ability may be severely limited. If you use a modern video card, the factory drivers may be able to make the card output a HDTV compatible signal to the TV. Otherwise, PowerStrip can almost certainly do it.

Saying the DVI doesn't work past the splash screen only means you don't have Windows and your video drivers configured correctly for it to work the way you expect.

- Mike

·
Registered
497 Posts
I use s-video on my tv and it isn't good for anything outside of media center. It'll be pretty much unacceptable for web browsing.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by miimura
It seems that your bigger problem is that you don't have any available inputs on your TV. The up-scaling DVD player would not be necessary if you got the HTPC working correctly on the DVI input. If you want to pursue it, you need to use either DVI or Component on the TV and I would recommend a more recent video card, at least something in the GeForce series. However, the TNT may work for Windows desktop. Video decoding ability may be severely limited. If you use a modern video card, the factory drivers may be able to make the card output a HDTV compatible signal to the TV. Otherwise, PowerStrip can almost certainly do it.

Saying the DVI doesn't work past the splash screen only means you don't have Windows and your video drivers configured correctly for it to work the way you expect.

- Mike
The media center PC idea is interesting, but right now i simply cannot afford to bulid a PC and i already have a DVD player. All that i want to do is be able to use my machine with the picture filling the whole screen on my 4:3 TV. i seem to remember having an 8meg PCI Rage card like 10 years ago that could do that. Right now it is "useable" but the pillarboxing is not only annoying, but a potential burn in hazard. If i could get a card that will work with my existing system for less than, lets say, $75 shipped i would do it, but not at the expense of sacrificing one of my HD sources to the TV. (a new reciever with Comp. switching is coming soon, but not that soon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Saldanha
Give TVtool a try with that old TNT - it will give you far more control over your TV-out than NVidia permitted.
I downloaded TVtool and installed, once i opened it all i get is flashing picture (seems like some kind of refresh rate problem maybe?) And now when i unplug the s-video and use a VGA->DVI adapter to try some settings with my CRT monitor, the monitor only works up until before the windows splash screen. I guess the card is still set at 800x600? but i cant change it while its on S-video and i cant use the DVI because i cant change it! AHHH!

thanks for the suggestions though, i will entertain almost anything at this point.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok update, i uninstalled the drivers for the card and was able to get the dvi output working to the computer monitor as well as s-video to the tv. i tried every combination that tvtool offers, 480, 800x600 and nothing is right, 480 fills the screen but i lose half the image, 800x600 is the same as without tvtool, but i can use a monitor at the same time. i would consider using the DVI input on the TV for the computer when i get the componet switching receiver (my upscaling DVD converts over componet as well as dvi). But here is the question - where do i start with the computer DVI resolution? i guess it has to be something that both the TV and the computer monitor can understand, like setting the monitor, then shuting down the computer and pluging in the tv, then going up from there?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.