AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my situation: I have on-board HDMI and a dedicated GPU. I currently have a DVI cable connecting my GPU to my TV. If I wanted to use HDMI (which is on the MoBo itself) will I lose the graphics acceleration from my GPU?

Or does the GPU still power the video/graphics, but it's simply displayed via the MoBo's HDMI port?

·
Registered
130 Posts
When you install a new graphics card, aren't the on board graphics automatically disabled anyways? So you wouldn't even get an output from the HDMI. But yes they are completely separate - the graphics card would have no way of sending its signal out the mobo's HDMI.

If you want to use HDMI, a DVI/HDMI adapter only costs a couple bucks (I suggest monoprice.com)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi

By using the HDMI port on your mainboard your dedicatet graphics card becomes obsolete. Everything is then done by the graphics solution soldered on your mainboard.

Why do you wan't to use HDMI in the first place? The only (real) advantage HDMI could bring you is embeded audio (IF the graphics solution on your mainboard supports audio in some way). With a video-only signal you have nothing to gain from HDMI. If your display only has HDMI inputs you could try a DVI-HDMI adaptor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.