AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a video card solution that will allow me to run two separate DVI outputs and switch between them? (not use them simultaneously).

My home theater is also my office -- so I use my office PC as an HTPC. I have a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card with a DVI out and a VGA out. I tried a VGA->DVI adapter trying to power my infocus projector at 1280x720, but it doesn't seem to work, and I need the DVI for my PC LCD.

If i got a video card with 2 DVIs could I hook both up and switch between them?

Anybody know how I could get my current card to work?

The only other alternative I could see would be a little 2x1 dvi output switch but those seem to be a couple hundred bucks...figured I might be better off just getting a better video card.

Thanks in advance!

Josh

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After reviewing a bunch of historic threads, I can clarify my question a bit:

- There seem to be many cards on the market that have 2 dvi outputs. Do these only work to do a dual-monitor configuration where they make one wide screen between them? Or do they support alternating between the two monitors (or using both simultaneously).

Also, I know there is an M1 -> 2 DVI cable out there -- does this splitter work with a certain video card to output two identical images simultaneously? If so that would work, too.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, it does have a VGA. Maybe that's my easiest solution, good point. I was stuck on DVI because I've already bought and run a DVI cable -- but it wouldn't be that hard to run VGA instead.

Which leaves me with two questions, though:

1. Does VGA support 1280x720?

2. Why would the VGA port work, if I can't get it to work now with a VGA->DVI adapter?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhannah
Yep, it does have a VGA. Maybe that's my easiest solution, good point. I was stuck on DVI because I've already bought and run a DVI cable -- but it wouldn't be that hard to run VGA instead.

Which leaves me with two questions, though:

1. Does VGA support 1280x720?

2. Why would the VGA port work, if I can't get it to work now with a VGA->DVI adapter?
To 1. yes - and potentially easier to set up than DVI

To 2. I am not sure but it could be that your PJ only accepts a digital signal through DVI, i.e. is only a DVI-D, rather than DVI-I.

In any case I would try to use a digital signal path over analog to achieve a better picture quality.

Coming back to your earlier post:
Quote:
….Do these only work to do a dual-monitor configuration where they make one wide screen between them? Or do they support alternating between the two monitors (or using both simultaneously).
I have been using several different dual-DVI cards (Matrox, ATI and NVidia) and all allowed me to switch displays around, clone, span, etc. (In my “home office†PC I actually use a dual-DVI AGP together with a PCI video card with DVI – this allows me to drive 3 DVI monitors simultaneously :) )

____

Axel

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
genius!

thanks for the tip!

the adapter I'm using on the projector is:

M1 to DVI-D (female) adapter SP-DVI-ADPT

So if it's DVI-D only then I guess the analog VGA signal won't work through that port.

So it seems like I could:

run a vga cable to the projector ($20)

get a 2x1 dvi splitter (~$200)

get a vid card with 2 DVI outs ($200-$300)

Seems like the first one is worth a try!!

thanks for your help

Josh

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Quote:
genius!

thanks for the tip!

the adapter I'm using on the projector is:

M1 to DVI-D (female) adapter SP-DVI-ADPT

So if it's DVI-D only then I guess the analog VGA signal won't work through that port.

So it seems like I could:

run a vga cable to the projector ($20)

get a 2x1 dvi splitter (~$200)

get a vid card with 2 DVI outs ($200-$300)

Seems like the first one is worth a try!!

thanks for your help

Josh
Josh;

Good approach to see if you are happy with VGA.

A watch-out on your splitter, though: I am not sure if you can run different resolutions (not to mention spanning, etc.). You may also run into nasty EDID issues.

A $100 solution is to get one of these DVI PCI cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814106164

I would only use it for office applications. The DVI output is also only capable of resolutions up to 1280x1024. I have one of these and am very pleased with it.

And for multi display set-ups I can highly recommend this utility: http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/ .

____

Axel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.