AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using HDMI out to tv, what's controlling the picture and audio quality? Is it the LCD tv or the video card coming from my computer? Logic tells me if you have a crappy tv, then it wouldn't matter how great your video card is. But is the reverse true? Would a great lcd be negatively affected by a crappy video card?

Please advise, thank you.

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronsonstack /forum/post/20860043

Using HDMI out to tv, what's controlling the picture and audio quality? Is it the LCD tv or the video card coming from my computer? Logic tells me if you have a crappy tv, then it wouldn't matter how great your video card is. But is the reverse true? Would a great lcd be negatively affected by a crappy video card?

Please advise, thank you.

not sure what you mean by picture quality but both contribute, the signal is manipulated by the video card(drivers, codec, colorspace) and then it's displayed by the tv.

If something is wrong you need to be more specific of the symptoms.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about I rephrase the question to... What do I need to look for in a video card when building or buying a pc to use HDMI out to TV? You know how anytime you configure a notebook or pc, you always have the option to upgrade the video card. If it's already equipped with HDMI out, do I really need to upgrade it?

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronsonstack /forum/post/20865031

What do I need to look for in a video card when building or buying a pc to use HDMI out to TV?

Make sure the video card supports a resolution of 1920x1080 or higher...most new ones do. Also, definitely make sure the video card can carry your system's sound through HDMI.

I have the nVidia GeForce 8400GS in one of my systems. It has a little wire that connects to the S/PDIF header on the motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125289

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
For video, at least there should be a sufficient number of stream processors in the graphics card to do necessary video post-processing tasks (HD 6570 or higher, GT 430 or higher). The driver, the software player, the display device and calibration of the display device are other factors.

As for audio, the main factor that decides SQ is speakers. In general the speakers integrated in the display is the crappiest.

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronsonstack /forum/post/20865031

How about I rephrase the question to... What do I need to look for in a video card when building or buying a pc to use HDMI out to TV? You know how anytime you configure a notebook or pc, you always have the option to upgrade the video card. If it's already equipped with HDMI out, do I really need to upgrade it?

higher score means better quality video
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...orce,2844.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.