AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my video card. Below are my PC Specs. I do not do any gaming and have a 300W power supply. I do have a 32" 1080P HD TV hooked up that I am looking to get a solid picture for Blu ray or just plain old WMC HD. Any advice would be appreciate. I tried looking but I am lost on what to get. Should I stick with NVIDIA?

I have on PCI Express x 16 and another x1

More details about my computer

Component Details Subscore Base score

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz 4.9 3.0

Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 5.4

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE 3.0

Gaming graphics 1071 MB Total available graphics memory 3.1

Primary hard disk 236GB Free (466GB Total) 5.9

Windows 7 Home Premium

System

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer GATEWA

Model GM5260

Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM

System type 64-bit operating system

Number of processor cores 2

Storage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 1863 GB

Disk partition (C 236 GB Free (466 GB Total)

Disk partition (D 43 GB Free (469 GB Total)

Media drive (E CD/DVD

Disk partition (J 790 GB Free (929 GB Total)

Media drive (K CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE

Total available graphics memory 1071 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB

Dedicated system memory 0 MB

Shared system memory 1007 MB

Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.5896

Primary monitor resolution 1600x1024

DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

Network

Network Adapter Intel(R) 82562V 10/100 Network Connection

Notes

The gaming graphics score is based on the primary graphics adapter. If this system has linked or multiple graphics adapters, some software applications may see additional performance benefits.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was checking out my power supply yesterday. I can't seem to find the spec on it but it has an unused 6 prong is that for the video? Wires I believe were black and white...

I am leaning on the GT430 vs Gt 240? Ideas thoughts?

·
Registered
389 Posts
The 430 would allow for bitstreaming while the 240 would not. NVIDIA should begin rolling out their lower end 5xx series cards soon too, if you want to wait a short while.

Both the GT 430 and the HD 5450 draw their power from solely the PCIe bus so no aux. power connection is required.

·
Registered
501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/19581888

If you are just wanting to play BD or BD rips, the ATI 5450 is plenty, and not expensive.

Is it possible like GT 430 if I want HD Audio output over HDMI with BD or BD rips? There is a rumor that HD 5xxx series have problem with HD Audio output over HDMI.

Thanks.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew c /forum/post/19589656

Where did you hear that rumour? It isn't true.

It is not a rumor, in fact is a well documented issue in this post . While the (fix) workaround exists, it may prove more than some people can handle on their own or don't want to bother with.

The issue may not affect everybody depending on their setup but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyckz /forum/post/19590360

It is not a rumor, in fact is a well documented issue in this post . While the (fix) workaround exists, it may prove more than some people can handle on their own or don't want to bother with.

The issue may not affect everybody depending on their setup but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

That was February, this is December.

First of all, everyone did not have those problems and secondly the EDID issues were fixed a few months ago with newer drivers.

In fact Tulli updated his post in August to reflect it.

The reason ATI's HD series keeps getting recommended is because of their head start. ATI is miles ahead of Nvidia when it comes to HTPCs. They have had an onboard audio controller since the first HD series (2000). And Nvidia implemented 8-ch LPCM just recently with the 210/220/240. And of course now they have a PAP in the latest chips for HD bitstreaming.

Since ATI audio has been around for 5 generations now, their problems are well documented and thus they also have solutions for them.

FWIW, I have used every series except the latest 6000 and each installation has been flawless for me. As far as I'm concerned, I always choose & recommend ATI, simply because it works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's been said already. To play HD video the sensible option would be ATI HD5450. That's not saying that ATI is better than Nvidia, just that ATI have that head start which makes the equivalent version cheaper to buy cause they've been out for longer.

If you're comfortable with nvidia then any of the 4xx versions will perform equally.

The key point to remember is not to go overboard and get a gaming-centric card---for exclusive HD video you only need low power, low heat and low cost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts