AVS Forum banner

Video card specifically for LED TV?

791 views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  CZ Eddie 
I'd recommend a GeForce 740. I picked up a 4GB EVGA DDR3 model for $100. One of the quirks of Samsung TVs is that you may need to edit the input menu to list the HDMI input that your PC is connected to as "PC", so the TV will properly recognize it with no overscan and proper colors.

Thanks for the post!
Does the 4GB help mostly when gaming or will it be used if you have say, 20 different 500MB video files open on your desktop?
I've always kind of wondered how important the onboard RAM is and if it's used for everything or only specific purposes.
The 4GB is useful for gaming and other resource-intensive functions. Video - normally - gets punted straight to the video decoding engine on the GPU, so the amount of memory really makes little difference so long as you have at least 1-2GB on the card. If you use shaders/image post-processing software like MadVR, then the memory becomes more relevant. I can say that it is an excellent card for HTPC use and decodes everything I throw at it without so much as a fart of the fan whirling up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.