AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been browsing and searching through old posts and have gained a tremendous amount of info for the HTPC and HD Projector that I will soon be building/buying. I have seen a lot of info, some of it conflicting, on the best way to connect a video card to the projector (90% DVD viewing/10% games).

Since I have not purchsed the projector or built the HTPC yet, I have a few questions:

- If the projector has a VGA connector, is is best to just plug the ATI card using the VGA out?

- If the projector has a DVI input, should I look for an ATI card with DVI out?

- Is a transcoder the best approach (I want greater than 540p output)? It sounds like any of the ATI dongles have issues with higer res.

- Should I be looking for other specific input abilities of a projector?

- Should I look for a projector that has a specific resolution? Is there resolutions that are better for DVD viewing (with HTPC of course)?

- Are there certain types/brands/features in a projector that are better "matches" for a HTPC?

Thanks!

(sorry if these questions are too simple or obvious)

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
1. VGA connector at native resolution of the projector.

2. I don't know as I do not have DVI inputs.

3. Only if you need RGB, better than ATI for DVD.

4. I think only inputs not listed are SVideo and Composite which are inferior.

5. Some would say 720P is better since it is a HDTV resolution. I have a XGA (768P) which is just fine. You might want to consider the Wide versions for DVD playing since games will only be 10% (games will be played with black bars on the left and right.

6. Probably better asked in the projectors forum.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may have used some wrong terms - what is the 15 pin connector on the back of most video cards? Is it a VGA or and RGB connector (or neither)? Is there such things as VGA and RGB connectors?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.