AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started this subject in another thread, but figured it deserved its own since it really is a different subject than what was in the original thread.

I am having trouble getting an acceptable picture from this PC:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834200004

to this plasma TV:

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Philips-42PF9956-37.htm

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/pdf/42p...37_dfu_aen.pdf

I am using and HDMI cord. When I select the 720 screen resolution (actually 1280 x 720), the desktop appears on the plasma as expected, but the pictures is very "shaky". I was told this would occur when browsing etc, but would not be a problem once I start watching videos via Youtube, iTunes, Netflix, etc.. This held true, but the picture on the plasma does not fill the whole screen -- more like 1/2 to 2/3 at best. I was told that the only solution to this issue is to upgrade my video card.

So, my questions are the following:

1. Do you agree with this diagnosis?

2. If so, what Video card do you recommend?

This machine will NEVER BE USED FOR GAMING. It is for watching videos only.

BTW, if I put the resolution at 800x600, it covers about 90% of the screen but of course is at a lower resolution.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/19554648

Being an "early adopter" plasma, the set may not support 1:1 pixel mapping through HDMI. Does the set have a VGA port? Panel resolution is typically 1366 x 768 or 1024 x 768 for 720p sets.

No VGA port.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/19554648

Being an "early adopter" plasma, the set may not support 1:1 pixel mapping through HDMI. Does the set have a VGA port? Panel resolution is typically 1366 x 768 or 1024 x 768 for 720p sets.

I know i will not get 1-1, so web browsing would not be good, but streaming should be fine at 720....ant it is,,,,,,BUT,,,, and this is a bug BUTT, it will not fill my entire 42" Plasma. It only covers about 1/2 of it which makes it look bad and stupid

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/19557191

Try 1024 x 768 or 1360 x 768, works with a lot of 720p TV's for 1;1 pixel mapping.

Issue is not with 1:1 pixel mapping. The issue is getting the "window" on the plasma to cover the entire screen. I have this issue (to varrying degrees) with all resolutions. 600x800 covers the most (about 90%). I need a way for my laptop to tell the plasma to stretch the window to cover the entire screen.

Because this is a laptop, changing the video card is not a real option. Are there 3rd party drivers I can use that might help? I currently have the most up to date driver from Intel already installed.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
If you send the display a signal at it's native resolution it should fill the screen by default. Since you have a laptop I don't see how you can upgrade graphics. If you have ATI graphics make sure under-scan is turned off (people running ATI can tell you how to do this).

·
Registered
823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanl3 /forum/post/19557494

I need a way for my laptop to tell the plasma to stretch the window to cover the entire screen.

I have never seen a PC that can deliver anything other than square pixels for any setting of display resolution.

I recall once having to help someone connect their laptop to a 1920x1080 LCD display, but the graphics driver did not support 1920x1080 resolution (that particular resolution was actually blocked by the laptop manufacturer - in order to get true 1920x1080, you had to buy a more expensive model!). From what I remember, since the laptop had a very common onboard Intel graphics hardware chipset, a good solution was some kind of a hack that allowed the Intel drivers to be set at any custom resolution. Since 1920x1080 was blocked by the PC manufacturer, I was able to choose 1918x1080 or 1920x1082. When sent to the LCD, it looked just as good as 1:1 pixel mapping.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
967 Posts
I take it the Screen format button on the remote doesn't help? Are you running the laptop in clone mode or extended desktop as far as the display settings? Try configuring the TV as a separate display (extended desktop) if you aren't already. That config worked well for me when I used to use a laptop as my HTPC; had MPC-HC configured to launch full screen on the 2nd display so I could watch a movie while still having the laptop screen available for something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.