Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Working on my first HTPC. I have a video card question. If the card has both S-video and DVI outputs will they both work at the same time? I have a projector, (Z90u), with s-video and a LCD monitor with DVI input. My goal is to plug them both into the card and be able to watch movies or play games via the projector while using the LCD monitor for setting things up. Is there a thread out there that explains some of these basics? If so, please direct my confusion to it. :)

thanks

-Ames

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ames,

Yes, it's likely possible that both the DVI and S-Video out will function simultaneously. But not for the purpose you are mentioning. Both outputs will display the exact same image. This is unless you have a dual-head video card, which allows you do process 2 discrete sets of video information at the same time. You could just buy 2 video cards (one PCI and one AGP). By the way, both the projector and the LCD monitor should use DVI, so that you can have 1:1 pixel mapping on the projector. Using S-Video through the projector, when you have a HTPC in the equation, doesn't make much sense.

HTBuilder

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HTBuilder,

I should have mentioned the other info about the projector connections. The z90u has 4 inputs. Here were my ideas for them:

1. DVI to HDTV Cable box.

2. Component to DVD

3. S-video to HTPC

4. composite to nothing..

NOTE: my cable box and HTPC are physically on opposite sides of my room.

If I ran DVI cables from both the cable box and HTPC i'd need to switch back and forth ( was hoping to avoid this ). Are there DVI switch boxes for this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.