AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've setup my HTPC and saw the first movie on it today. Unfortunately, the picture started getting choppy half way through the movie. The frames seemed to be skipped in between (although the audio was never choppy). I was running the display at 1280x720 with a under-scan setting at 6%. I'm using a 6600 GT video card. I've also set the display on my front projection as "Video GBR" (the other option is "Computer"). I'm using a DVI connection.


I'm trying to figure out the root cause:

Is it b'cos of the under-scan setting?

Or is it b'cos my passive cooling video card got hot that it couldn't perform well...


Any suggestions here?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,296 Posts
what DVD player are you using and does it use VMR9

if it is using VMR9

I would think it would be a PSU or heat related problem

underscanning issues would make the video choppy from the beginning

I would think

but you can try not underscanning
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using MCE 2004's built in player. I had the DVD on the hard-drive and played it via MCE's MyVideos option..


I'm not sure if its a heat issue as I have one fan connected to the case and it didn't get turned on (I have an option in the BIOS to turn it on if its above 104F)


I touched the videocard to check the heat on it... It was hot (but not burning hot, I could touch it for more than 5 seconds)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
913 Posts
please list your hardware


also, turn off or stop all other software that may be running in the background including firewall and antivirus stuff, turn off windows autoupdate, turn off power management stuff in windows (if your worrried about turning off the firewall stuff, unplug your network connection.


you need to figure out if your hardware is the problem...


or if you have software screwing you up.


start by simplifying the options.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My hardware is:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX -

Memory: pqi POWER Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model MD441GUOE

MoBo: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum, AMD 64, Socket 939, nForce4, 4GB, ATX

Vid Card: GIGABYTE GV-NX66T128VP Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card

Case: Ahanix MCE601 Home Theater PC Case, Black (Custome 350W PSU)


OS: MCE2004


I didn't have any software running at that time. I was running the video via my MCE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,749 Posts
Down load and install the 30 day free trial of the NVIDIA Decoder( release 0.150) and its users manual from the Nvidia Web site. Also download and install the Nvidia 77.76 Beta drivers and their users's manual. Also suggest that you confiture the Decoder Deinterlacing control to automatic. Underscanning by using the driver overscan compensation should have not effect on stuttering or chopiness when running at 720p or 1080i.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,732 Posts
PC slowdown or crashes after running are normally heat related. An easy test is to watch the same movie or somekind of torture test but w/ the case lid off. You can add a regular house fan to blow air on the side w/o the cover. Sounds crude but it's an old trick to check for heating problems. Are you monitoring your CPU/Case temps?....mike....

PS. What's that custom PS? My ATX500W PS is external(harness modded) cause I got tired of those mATX PS for my Dvine5 case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketech
PC slowdown or crashes after running are normally heat related. An easy test is to watch the same movie or somekind of torture test but w/ the case lid off. You can add a regular house fan to blow air on the side w/o the cover. Sounds crude but it's an old trick to check for heating problems. Are you monitoring your CPU/Case temps?....mike....

PS. What's that custom PS? My ATX500W PS is external(harness modded) cause I got tired of those mATX PS for my Dvine5 case.


The case has a custom PSU from Ahanix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford
Down load and install the 30 day free trial of the NVIDIA Decoder( release 0.150) and its users manual from the Nvidia Web site. Also download and install the Nvidia 77.76 Beta drivers and their users's manual. Also suggest that you confiture the Decoder Deinterlacing control to automatic. Underscanning by using the driver overscan compensation should have not effect on stuttering or chopiness when running at 720p or 1080i.
You think it has to do with MCE2004? I'm planning to upgrade to 2005. Would it fix the problem?

I was checking the temperature of my system (right now not running any movie or graphics intensive app, just normal operation)


System temp is: 25 C

CPU temp is: 45 C

GPU temp is: 82 C


Is that too high temp for a GPU?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,296 Posts
it is higher than it should be at idle, I would think

my 6800 is 55C

Quote:
You think it has to do with MCE2004? I'm planning to upgrade to 2005. Would it fix the problem?
doubtful
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top