AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until now, I've had my home theater setup that all audio goes through the receiver, while video goes straight to the TV (it's a fairly high-end Sony with 7 inputs for up to 7 components). The reason: I thought it might give better picture quality.

Since then, I've noticed that switching both the video and audio sources everytime I want to play something is probably an unnecessary chore. My question: will routing my video through the receiver degrade quality in any way?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
The short answer is yes it will degrade video somewhat switching through a receiver. The question is how big your display is as to how noticeable that difference is.

I have a FP projecting a 108" image. When I tried switching it through my prepro (that's supposed to have plenty of bandwidth even for HD), the resulting degradation of the picture was completely unacceptable.

Now if I were using a 40" rather than 108" the difference might not have been big enough to justify the inconvenience of manually switching wires. I don't know. But on my display it was a complete no-go.

·
Registered
27,095 Posts
Yes!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.