AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am distributing video throughout the house from a DirecTV feed, does it require an amplifier of some sort? I had Cablevision before this and there was an amplifier being used, it was necessary as the signal was too weak without it. I'm wondering whether a similar or the same amplifier can be used to boost the satellite signal because I get an error message frequently where it's searching for satellite signal. It could also be the dish is not properly aligned which I'll have checked but just curious what others are doing in a similar setup.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
There are some specific products, but they're usually not needed. If your runs from the dish / multiswitch are long (meaning >100') that might be something to look into.

But frequent "searching for satellite" messages are a dish alignment problem. Do you get it on one receiver or all of them? What is your signal strength - you can also check this on different receivers to see if you get different results - which will tell you if you've got a cable/signal problem or not.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I recently switch to DirecTV. Wouldn't DirecTV fix this problem at no cost? Yeah, might be more 'fun' yourself, but I pay them a lot of money every month.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DirecTV is looking into it, they replaced just about everything except the receiver and the actual cable. Right now things are working fine but we shall see. I was curious about the amplifier but it seems their setup does not require it.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
There really isn't an "amp" for DirecTV in the same way there is for cable. They have multiswitches that are used for large setups, but most are fine with a single-cable SWiMLine setup that has the multiswitch in the LNB. That also provides the most reliable signal, as you have no cable loss, since it's already SWiM'ed before it hits the coax.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.