AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded a DTC to a HD100 and I am getting video dropouts that I did not seem to get before? I am really happy over all with the Sony features and picture quality but I am concerened that my unit might have a problem. I have read some other people talking about this problem with other new STB's also. Is this normal? Is there something in the set up on the HD100 that will help? i.e- with the transponder numbers or something? I mostly get it with HD HBO (509), but have seen it with regular DirecTv stations also. I watched the Sopranos tonight and got a pretty good one about half into the show. about 5 secs or so. Anyone else getting this?

PS- my fan is one of the noisy ones also, but I can deal with it...

·
Registered
540 Posts
boom boom... I have a hd100 and, like you, experienced a pretty big dropout about half way through the sopranos... I'd say it lasted about 2 seconds (seems longer when you're right in the middle of a scene).

But that's about the extent of the dropout problems I've had with this unit... Before this one, I had the panasonic and I experienced quite a few dropouts, primarily on hbo-hd. (It seems the rca is immune to a lot of the dropouts that these second generation boxes aren't).

You ask if these dropouts are normal... I don't know if I'd call them normal, but judging form all the threads on this site, I'd say they are common.

[This message has been edited by lhamp (edited 03-18-2001).]

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
boom boom,

I also have the HD100 but I did not have any problems during the Sopranos tonight. I have been getting some strange video dropouts but they have been on normal DirecTV channels. I have never had these dropouts on any other receivers.

Gary

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems I am not the only one getting these dropouts. I to do get them on regular stations also, but seem to get them more on 509. Why did I not get this with my DTC? You would figure newer technology would work better right? So is it safe to assume nothing is wrong with my Sony box? Does anyone have a fix for this or an explanation why this is happening??? Thanx.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My theory is there are compatibility issues. It would seem that the broadcasters need to troubleshoot their broadcast compatibility with each of the boxes. Sounds like most problems have been worked out with the RCA since it has been on the market for awhile. The broadcasters need to work out compatibility issues. It would probably be helpful to notify the broadcasters of the problems and the box you are using. Be prepared for a lot of finger pointing from the box manufacturers to the broadcasters and back again.

Does my theory make sense? Any scientific proof it is right or wrong?

-Brett

·
Registered
82 Posts
No drop outs since I have had the HD100. Have had it 4 days now. Works perfect. My serial number is 4700 series, fan noise very minimal. Lip sync is a little off. Needs adjusting to the right about 4 inches.

[This message has been edited by jaye fayed (edited 03-21-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.