AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a super newbie....to the point that this is my first camcorder I'll own and the first time I've tried editing software. Here are my computer stats

Intel Core2 Duo CPU 2.67GHz

4 GB ram

Windows 7 64bit.

Can you guys recommend (other than Windows Movie Maker) a powerful yet pretty easy to learn program to edit my video's that I record? I'd prefer Free, but it doens't have to be. As long as it's user friendly enough for a newbie, then I don't mind paying some cash.

Any recommendations would be very helpful!!!

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I'd recommend Edius Neo 3. It wont be out until next month but GrassValley have recently released the DEMO so you can try it free for a month.
http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...ad.php?t=19615

It'll probably costs $200 but you do get a lot for that price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira /forum/post/19521105

I'd recommend Edius Neo 3. It wont be out until next month but GrassValley have recently released the DEMO so you can try it free for a month.
http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...ad.php?t=19615

It'll probably costs $200 but you do get a lot for that price.

And this is easy enough for me to figure out pretty quickly w/o having any, and I mean ANY video editing experience in the past? I'd prefer to not have to read a book or take months and months to learn the software before I can use it.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Theirs also Nero that you can download although I'd expect Edius Neo 3 to be better but it'll definitely cost more.
http://www.nero.com/enu/nero-video-hd-overview.html

Their are many editing software you can get and I can easily recommend Edius Neo 3 which should be fine for a lot of people but for sure what may be very easy for some people aren't for others.

I've done projects on Edius Pro, Premiere Pro, Final Cut, Avid, etc,, so you'd think that I might be good on all professional editing software programs but that's not the case, The very first time I tried Vegas, it was torture. It was a free DEMO that I downloaded in the past and although I might have gotten used to it before the DEMO was over, I didn't feel comfortable. Granted I was learning on my own but the first time I downloaded a free DEMO of Edius and learning on my own, it was an entirely different story. I'm sure you'll find people who are experts in Vegas but wouldn't feel comfortable in something like AVID or Edius for example. This remind me that I should really try Vegas again and see if it'll have more love for it this time.

I don't mean to scare you but again, at least your able to download software programs from a lot of companies for free and see which one is right for you. You just got to also make sure it has the features you need. Anyway the reason I picked those 2 programs is because I think it'll go easy on your computer better than most or all programs in that price range. I'd start with Edius first.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
ffmpeg is powerful. But NOT easy to learn. And if you don't have the latest and greatest you might not have all the bug fixes for your HD camcorder. All of my youtube hits were generated by ffmpeg. But I generally handle audio externally until the final step. Which can be a bit of rocket science in and of itself.

KDENLive, Lives, Cinelerra, and other options / front ends if you run linux and don't want to be that intimate with the under the hood stuff. I like having the fewest generations of edits for the best quality, so I generally do it the hard way. All of the above are free to acquire and (L)GPL'd.

It really depends on what you want out of an editor. Color grading? Chroma Key (green screen)? Ease of use? Effects? Standards compliant output? Some of which, even the commercial software is not entirely great at.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I'd like a recommendation on very simple editing software that I can perform VERY BASIC EDITING. I am talking very basic.

I might want to have the ability to trim some video clips but that is all I want.

I have the Canon HF 31.

I also have a two terabyte My Book external hard drive.

Here is what I want to do.

Record my video at the highest quality possible.

Then store those video's in my external drive(s).

As I want to view them, I'll either burn them to a DVD until I can get a Blu Ray burner or download them back to my SD memory card and use the SD card slot in my Blu Ray player.

Once I can do these basics, I'll do some research and get a more robust editing software that gives me greater flexibility.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
This should depend on how much you want to spend. Nero if you don't want to spend much or Ediius Neo 3 if you don't mind spending around $200. You can always try both out to see which one your the most comfortable with.

Still, I just noticed Nero has a Black Friday special on their software. it's half off until Monday. It's $35.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Stay away from the Corel program. I tried that one a few times and found it to be very buggy.

I'd recommend the CyberLink PowerDirector program. It's easy to use and has a free 30 day trial.

I've been leaning how to use Sony Vegas 10 with Sony DVD Architect in my spare time over the past 2 weeks. It is VERY advanced but has a ton of options and settings that you can use to adjust and do just about everything.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I'm not so sure those are as stable as the programs I mention when it comes to a computer that isn't that powerful although at least their also available for free for a month.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000
I'd like a recommendation on very simple editing software that I can perform VERY BASIC EDITING. I am talking very basic.

I might want to have the ability to trim some video clips but that is all I want.
To be outputted in the same format that it was recorded in? And playable on the camcorder that recorded it? Some camcorders come with on camera editing features, which includes basic trimming. Otherwise once you touch the video with something other than the camcorder, the output will not likely play on the camcorder that recorded it. And since it's different, you have to at least choose an output format that can be used by something. Which is where very simple editing is not so simple.

If you want simple, you might find a capture card (or DVR) and the software that comes with it to be the simplest of options. Not to imply simple.

All I wanted to do was trim and swap audio. Plus author DVDs for distribution. All of which have their quirks. With trimming if you do that in the middle of a GOP, results can get weird. If you want frame accuracy, your editing software might chose the GOP over the specified frame. Or it might count from 0 instead of 1.

Swapping audio means adjusting the audio from another source to match the speed of the camcorders audio clock. And trimming after that adjustment to match the now adjusted trim point and some point at or past the final frame. Made odd in my case since the audio from the camcorder cuts out before the final frame.

For DVDs you might have to end on exact seconds with audio past the final frame to line that up. Which might not be anything close to the defaults of your editing software. So even though said edits are simple, trimming to time, swapping audio, or just authoring a DVD. The methods are often easier said than done.

And other joys that are the world of video editing.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I'm sure they want something that can just edit their stuff and share it. A lot of simple editing software programs like the ones mentioned here can author to DVD or a Blu-Ray disc.

·
Registered
93 Posts
For someone just starting with video editing, I suggest using the one that comes with Windows and can do quite a lot of things. Best of all, you don't have to pay for it, you already have it. That's how I started and it took about 2 years before I felt I needed something more than what Windows Movie Maker could do. Here is an example of a short video created with Windows MM.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...AtBellagio.mp4

·
Registered
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Flint /forum/post/19545562

For someone just starting with video editing, I suggest using the one that comes with Windows and can do quite a lot of things. Best of all, you don't have to pay for it, you already have it. That's how I started and it took about 2 years before I felt I needed something more than what Windows Movie Maker could do. Here is an example of a short video created with Windows MM.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...AtBellagio.mp4

When I got the HFM300 two weeks ago, I first began using the Windows Live Movie Maker and Windows DVD Maker, since both of those are from Microsoft and work in Win 7. They are very easy to use and have some nice features. My issue is that the Windows Live Movie Maker coverts and saves the edited video was WMV which then Windows DVD Maker encodes to a DVD format to burn on the disc. When I watched the DVD on my HDTV, I thought "wow, this looks almost out of focus, and there's a lot of block pixelation in the sky". That's when I started to try other programs, including the one on the CD that Canon has with the Camcorder. After trying about 6 programs total, all of them had better results than the Windows Live Movie Maker/DVD Maker.

But since this person wants easy, go with the Windows Live one since its child's play to use, and if you're happy with the results....great. Or try the CyberLink PowerDirector since that is still easy, but image quality is better.

I do wish that the Windows Live Move Maker did a better job of converting files from MTS to WMV. If it did, I would use it since its the easiest program out there. But since I'm looking for better image quality, that's why I tried so many other programs.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Guys, thanks for all of your advice...!

Does anyone know enough about the Canon software to know if it will allow you to select a drive where you want to download the videos to?

I would like to load them to my external hard drive.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
Stay away from Windows Movie maker. It will ruin your videos. A key feature is whether a program will smart render - not re-render you video if you have not altered it, only processing where you make transitions, for example. If you an HD camcorder, you do not want to end up with processed videos. Windoes Movie mker transforms you video to its own WMV files at lower bit rates, and they look bad.

"Stay away from the Corel program. I tried that one a few times and found it to be very buggy." My own expereince with this program is it works fine. Do not take the word of anyone - who knows what computer the person has or level of expertise. That goes for me too - you can download a 300-day trial of this software and see. The gain is this program smart renders well and you get perfect replicas of your originals strubng together, plus it is easy to use. But check it out yourself.

30-day trials are great.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd ultimately like to burn my videos onto Blu Ray discs. Is that relatively easy to do if I had the TM700? Do I need anything that is pretty clostly in order to do this, other than the camera and the burner?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also just got Adobe Premier Pro. It doesn't seem to be able to be able to import an M2ts file into the program. Am I doing something wrong, or is this normal? I have a TM700, and video'd with a standard setting...not sure which, but it wasn't 60p, I know that for sure. It was the second from the lowest setting. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts