AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you out there like how your rear projection CRT looks after calibrating with Video Essentials? I tried it once and felt the picture was way too dark. What am I doing wrong? I carefully followed the instructions on the disc.

Thanks!!

-mur27

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Turn off the room lights and limit any light coming through the windows as much as possible. In other words, treat your room like a movie theatre. Watch it for a few days. Give yourself a chance to get used to it. You're used to watching TV with way too much contrast and brightness. Look at it more like a movie screen. I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
352 Posts
greywolf is correct! It took me a couple of days to get used to the 'darker' picture.

I re-calibrate every 6 months or so.

I've got Video Essentials and Avia. I like the VE for setting up video & Avia for audio.

Good luck!

Sonicflood

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ditto. Mine looked dark at first, but once you get used to it, you won't go back. I don't have Avia yet, so can't give you a comparison.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all!!!! I did start to get used to it watching "Planet of the Apes" (the new version) last night. It did look much more film-like, and better than before my VE calibration. Contrast was way too high before.

But, now my Star Wars Episode II DVD looks worse! I see what might be grainyness or very small pixilation now. This DVD looked fantastic before the VE calibration, whereas the Planet of the Apes DVD looked worse before the VE calibration.

Any ideas why Episode II would show problems after calibration? I read reviews that the transfer is reference quality.

Thanks!

-mur27

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.