AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm waiting for delivery of my Mitsu 65807, I'm trying to get everything together to start tweaking. I have a copy of Video Essentials - do I need to buy Avia? Do they do different things?

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's best to own both. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I prefer Avia because you get to see real people talking instead of just a guy's voice.

------------------

My current entertainment setup:

Panasonic 27" TV, Toshiba SD-3109 DVD Player (connected via S-Video), Aiwa Dolby Pro Logic Mini-Surround System, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PlayStation 2...(and more to come!)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have both. The overscan patterns on VE are a bit off center so you need Avia for this. Overall, I prefer VE.

·
Registered
71 Posts
800.com has VE for $24.94. It says sale but 800.com seems to always have it at this everyday low price.

------------------

Turn the sound up and the lights down!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The best recommendation probably is to have both disks. Also, if you really want to tweak your Mits, suggest you visit http://www.***************.com . There you will find a number of useful tweaks identified for the Mits and those related to Mits geometry utilize the Avia disk patterns. Good luck.

Bruce

·
Registered
171 Posts
kc10kevin:

>> Any good places around to get these. <<

--Kc10, I recently picked up VE for under US$20 shipped from: http://www.ezydvd.com.au/ (an Australian company)

I haven't tried it yet.

I also ordered Avia from Amazon.com the other day. It was under US$40 shipped using a coupon from Amazon.

------------------

--speedy

[This message has been edited by speedlever (edited 07-13-2001).]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by speedlever:
I recently picked up VE for under US$20 shipped from: http://www.ezydvd.com.au/ (an Australian company)
Did you have a good experience with these guys? Their prices are awfully good across the board, even with shipping included. Did it take 2 weeks to get here like they claim?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that there will be a new Digital Video Essentials in a few months. It promises to be the best set-up disc yet, for audio and video.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, I had a good experience with Ezdvd. Iirc, I got my VE DVD in well under 2 weeks, more like a week, I think. I would not hesitate to buy from them again. And for less than $20, not much risk anyway.

I've used VE extensively since I got a DVD player. I also use Avia a lot too.

I've found that both VE and Avia have different strengths. I really like the audio and video presentation of VE, but prefer the tests on Avia.

I tried to order the new DVE.. but find it's been delayed until first quarter 2002.

------------------

--speedy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is it really worth purchasing either of these DVDs? Are the results substantial enough to justify a purchase of over 50$ for both? I've held off from buying either since I've been building up my DVD collection and would rather buy a movie title instead. I own a couple DVDs with the THX Optimode and have found it to be of some use, however I would never purchase a DVD simply just for the Optimode feature itself. How do these DVDs compare to the THX Optimode? Are VE and/or Avia similar to the THX feature or do they have major differences worth having? I guess my bottom line question would be will I notice substantially better improvement using VE/Avia over THX Optimode?

Thanks

-Kia

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have tried them both and ended up changing everything anyway...... My wife did not like how dark the picture becomes after calibrating w/them......As for sound, how many of actually set the speaker delay and just leave it ? I am always changing levels based on content / recording / broadcast...

You learn a lot going through them, but I end up changing a lot based on content / channel / ambient light etc.........

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
Is it really worth purchasing either of these DVDs?
I bought Avia and it was definitely worth it for me. I was always a bit of a spaz when it came to messing with the five basic controls (brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness), and Avia made the process a lot easier (color bars, filters, guides etc.) I haven't gone into the advanced modes yet (chicken), but there are a ton of them.

This is a good URL from hometheaterforum.com that goes through and explains a lot of the Avia stuff in scary detail.

I highly recommend Avia (haven't used VE yet, so I can't offer an opinion) to anyone that wants a good set of tweaking tools and patterns for their home theater setup.

Roddie

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you have an LCD projector, Avia is a bit better. It's method for handling the White level (Contrast) setting is easier to calibrate on an LCD projector. Video Essentials uses blooming as the white level setting, which isn't appropriate for an LCD projector that doesn't ever bloom.

I have both and I like the video clips at the end of Video Essentials. Something about viewing real material and skin tones to test your adjustments. But from a more technical point of view, the test patterns on Avia are better.

Honestly, I've never listened to the commentary on Avia. I was raised on Video Essentials back in the LD days, and so I just needed the test patterns.

I agree that it's useful to have both if you can afford it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hi,

Believe it or not ebay has them aswell, i just bought the VE for $19.00 in brand new cond. and also picked up the Avia aswell at dvdforum.com for $24.5 also like new , so look around you'll find them. I notice the Avia disc is a lot more user friendly then the VE. but buy both its good to have.

good luck

carlos

------------------

"He who dies with the most toys wins". unless its home theater we die broke!!! Let The Games Begin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.