AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have to admit that i'm going crazy here. All i want is an HT system that i can use for movies AND games, but choosing a video output source is so damn hard because of the game part! Here are some of the things i've learned while searching, as well some questions - answers to these might help me finally make up my mind. Note that all of the parts below are HD.

CRT Projectors: as good as it gets for movies, but they seem to hardly be the perfect choice for games because of burn-in and limited tube life. Do they suffer from burn-in more than RPTV's or are projector owners just over-protective (see below)? Also, how limited is the tube life? If i take real good care of it, watch the b/c levels and all, and use it for roughly 2 hours a day, how many years would an average projector last for?

RPTVs: pretty damn good for movies. Picture quality isn't that great, but reasonably good. Problem is they also suffer from burn-in. However, a lot of people say that they still use them for games and that they are fine as long as they keep b/c down. But don't games look overly dark that way?

Tubes: small, so not that great for movies or games. Picture quality of WEGA's is great though and no burn-in issues. But the price/inch is insane, especially when compared to CRT projectors.

Hmm so what do i do? Help me out please.

·
Registered
102 Posts
D!abolic, A (CRT)FP system (new) should last an average of 10,000hrs. So 2 hrs a day X 365 dpy= 730 hours per yr.

730hrs x 10yrs= 7300hrs. You can do the math.

With the speed of technology, 10+ yrs from now you'll want the new XPSSHHD-virtual-holographic-imaging-beam me up Scotty system and conventional systems will be land fill matter.

It sounds like you have all the info you need already, you just need to make a wise decision, based on your highest priority.

1st. Pic quality, size.

2nd. Use: HT, Gaming, TV.

3rd. Cost.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still need to get the answers to these questions though :)

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Burn in happens when you do something wrong. Don't do anything wrong and you will be fine with any type of TV. Get a plasma and you will have no worries at all. :)

Specifically, burn in comes from bright and/or static images. Video games in the 80s were all static images with very few moving pieces. Look at the background of Super Mario Bros. Video games today are about the same as movies for variable content on screen.

You should calibrate your new TV with a test disc anyway to correctly set contrast to prevent problems like this. Also, don't leave the TV on when you pause a game. Your biggest worry today should actually be the station logos in the corner. Some of them are very bright and are always on. Watch out for these 3 problems and you will be just fine.

One more thing to be cautious about: if you play older games, Genesis or earlier, don't play for more than a couple hours at a time on one game. But so few play older games that this seldom comes up these days.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Get yourself 2 crt's one for movies(a good one) and one for games. Mount the movie one on the cieling and the game one into a coffee table so you are using the same screen. for gaming a sony 1031q would be good because they are bright and capable of the x-box resolutions(I think) these can be had for under $800. I have one in mint condition but i will need more for this one. I have thought about doing exactly the same thing.

I may even use the computer-Quake 3 on a 120" screen oh baby!!!!

Wayne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.