AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I need your input with some if these questions (answer all or one, its up you). I know the answers to some seem extremely obvious but I would like to hear a variety of answers just in case.

1) Why do you like VG podcasts?

2) What benefits do they serve you?

3) If a particular website (like 1UP for instance) has a podcast, does a hosts likability increase your interest in future articles written by them?

4) Whats an ideal length?

5) Daily? Weekly? Bi-weekly? Monthly?

I really appreciate this!

-Mark

· Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcrow /forum/post/18100752

Gives me something to do when I walk my dog or commute to work. Great in 15-30 minute chunks. Which is also why I like podcasts that break up their content into short features (games being played, news, user emails, etc). If a particular feature (reviews or whatever) runs too long, I quickly lose interest. I'm not a fan of scripted podcast content (like polished-sounding reviews). I like VG podcasts because there's a sense of a conversation going on.

Quote:

Purely a way to pass the time. Some podcasts give me a better sense for what certain reviewers actually think of games. Written reviews can sometimes be too "objective." Podcasts give them an outlet to give a more personal evaluation. Also, I feel like I know where the reviewer is coming from a lot better when they're able to talk about a game rather than write about it.

Quote:
3) If a particular website (like 1UP for instance) has a podcast, does a hosts likability increase your interest in future articles written by them?

Not really. Their likability does, however, increase my interest in listening to more podcasts by them. For example, I think Justin McElroy (at Joystiq) isn't their greatest writer, but he's fantastic on the podcast. Also, I really like the guys at Giant Bomb, but I don't like their written material; they're excellent on the podcast and in video. Regardless, for a podcast, personality is everything. I've tried dozens of gaming podcasts over the years, but I always come back to the same ones (Out of the Game, Joystiq Podcast, Giant Bombcast). The others just don't have enough personality, and end up all seeming too much alike. You can't fabricate the sort of chemistry that these three podcasts have.

Quote:

Depends on the content.

Quote:

Weekly or bi-weekly is good. Daily is too much, and monthly I'd just ignore it.

Good luck, Mark. You still running your podcast? Describe it a bit. What sets it apart from the others? How would you define it or pitch it to someone?

· Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:

Guys I need your input with some if these questions (answer all or one, its up you). I know the answers to some seem extremely obvious but I would like to hear a variety of answers just in case.

I don't like any podcast on VGs I have heard. I have listened to a few and they are just a bunch of idiots blathering about nonsense. They are long and filled with bad in-jokes. I feel like somebody taped NeoGAF's threads or something.

There's a few sports podcasts I like, because they are generally sharp people making insightful comments about sports. They are also kept short (40m-1h) and move quickly. I'd want the same out of a videogame podcast.

Podcasts are just like any other production. I realize it's not easy but you need good talent and good hosting and good production. I'd love to hear a videogame podcast that figures this out but I haven't yet.

· Registered
495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/18101858

I don't like any podcast on VGs I have heard. I have listened to a few and they are just a bunch of idiots blathering about nonsense. They are long and filled with bad in-jokes.

Totally agree. They also try way too hard to be witty and edgy.

· Registered
8,322 Posts
hmmm...

Maybe I'm odd, but I'd rather spend what little free time I can allocate to video games, you know, actually playing video games. Instead of listening to strangers talk about playing video games.

-Suntan

· Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/18102037

hmmm...

Maybe I'm odd, but I'd rather spend what little free time I can allocate to video games, you know, actually playing video games. Instead of listening to strangers talk about playing video games.

-Suntan

You can listen to something while doing something else. Like working, driving, etc.

· Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoch6599 /forum/post/18101939

Totally agree. They also try way too hard to be witty and edgy.

As an example of what I was saying, a good sports podcast is Slate's. In it, they go through a set number of topics really quickly then have one quick comment at the end.

All the videogame podcasts I have listened to go like this:

"umm... so what games are you guys playing"

"I dunno. Just got XYZ. It's okay"

Then they talk about it for 20 minutes. I might as well go to GameStop and listen to the guys there talk about their World of Warcraft characters.

Then they go through it again.

There's nothing insightful or interesting. The last one I tried was the Eurogamer podcast, and it was amazingly bad, which is surprising because the website is usually very good.

· Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/18102139

There's nothing insightful or interesting. The last one I tried was the Eurogamer podcast, and it was amazingly bad, which is surprising because the website is usually very good.

Without "radio presence," a podcast will always suck. Doesn't matter how good a writer you are. Being good on radio is not at all the same talent as being good on paper. Too many gaming podcasters think that just because they're well known for writing reviews/previews that they'll also be good on radio.

· Registered
6,710 Posts

Quote:

I like them because I'm able to listen to them while at work. I have to be at work for 8 hours any damn way, and I'm basically a captive audience during that time. Might as well enjoy something while I'm working. In my job I have to do a lot of pretty boring data entry type stuff, and basically it's the perfect mix of doing enough of something where I can enjoy what I'm listening to, but it's just monotonous enough, where I can still listen to the podcast and be able to pay attention to what the podcasters are talking about. I used to listen to AM and FM radio, and would often listen to AM talk radio, but podcasts have replaced that.

Quote:

Obviously, the passage of time is the main thing. My 8 hour work day feels more like a 5 hour work day. The big advantage of podcasts over say AM talk radio, is the lack of any commercial breaks, and also being able to listen to something that I'm specifically interested in. The no commercial thing is the biggest factor by far.

Quote:

Not really. However, when I occasionally look at a review at Gamespot or IGN or 1up or whatever, I might notice the reviewers name, and if I've heard that guy on a podcast, I feel like I know the guy a bit more ,and might take his review a bit more seriously. The problem is, unless the people do video podcasts, it can be hard to really feel like you seriously know somebody if you don't have a face to go along with the voice. For example, I feel like I'm very familar with the Giant Bomb guys, because I've seen a few of their video podcasts, and can put the face with the voice. Then when I see their name in print on an article, I know exactly who I'm dealing with. But having said all of this, I honestly don't read too many articles on websites.

Quote:

An amazing podcast can almost never be long enough, and a horrible one can't be short enough. I feel like a podcast should be at least 45 minutes in length. Some of the super long ones (3 hours), are a bit ridiculous. Back in the days of classic 1upYours, I wish they had 4 hour shows, cause I could honestly listen to it that long. Most podcasts I listen to are in the 90 minute range.

Quote:

Usually weekly. I listen to a couple that are supposed to be weekly, but end up more like Bi-Monthly or Monthly.

Here is my current Top 10

1. Digital Cowboys - By far the best current podcast going imho.

2. 4 Guys 1 Up - Huge drop off in quality from ListenUP or 1upYours, but still usually pretty interesting.

3. Giant Bomb - Normally pretty high quality. Sometimes some of them can get on my nerves a bit. But overall, pretty entertaining, and informative.

4. A Life Well Wasted - Pretty outstanding production values and such, but this podcast is closer to be quarterly than Monthly, so it's hard to rank it really high when it's so infrequent.

5. Out of the Game - Similar to "A Life Well Wasted", this one is starting to be very infrequent. It's been a long time since their last podcast.

6. Rebel FM - Usually there is some pretty informed discussion going on in this podcast, and the only bad thing I can say about it is that sometimes the hosts sound like they should drink a bit more coffee.

7. Geekbox - Geekbox covers more than just video games, and sometimes they get into certain PC games and TV Shows that I don't really have interest in, but I still enjoy their show for the most part.

8. Gamehounds - Gamehounds is a bit of an acquired taste, but the best thing about it is that the hosts are in their 30's or maybe even early 40's, and they don't get as fratboyish as some of the other ones.

9. Podcast Beyond - Ok, these guys are very immature at times, and downright goofy at times, but it's a Playstation specific podcast, and they do usually have some pretty good PS3 specific info.

10. Bitmob Mobcast - Sometimes these guys can be a bit boring, and sometimes the hosts are kinda lame, and none of them really have a voice for radio, but the shows are usually pretty decent, and they seem to be improving over time.

· Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/18101253

Good luck, Mark. You still running your podcast? Describe it a bit. What sets it apart from the others? How would you define it or pitch it to someone?

Thanks confidenceman!

We've not recorded a session of Played in almost a year unfortunately. Mainly because of our schedules--it's almost impossible to get the 3 of us to dig out 1-2 hours of our schedule at the same time.

But the new Podcast I'm putting together is a secret for now, but it might be big and you just miiight have heard of the website. It's very very exicting.

· Registered
7,961 Posts
Wow. Well, congratulations. Definitely let us know once you've gotten it off the ground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.