AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the high end a/v components and have a couple of questions about the a/v receiver amps. I believe the video inputs are to allow me to switch several video inputs (i.e. sat, x-box, dvd) to a single output to the TV.

1) If a am using all component inputs, will the component output be degraded?

2) Are there other benifits or pitfalls to running my signals through the receiver instead of directly to the TV?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
First off, you may have a hard time running "all" component inputs. Features vary widely by brand and model, but I think many "mid-range" a/v receivers with component switching are limited to two componet inputs. That doesn't mean that you only have to a/v inputs, but only two out of the x amount of a/v inputs that model has can be hooked up with component. The others will have to rely on composite or s-video. Obviously, as you go up the chain to higher end units, you may find more than just two.

Being an analog signal, it is subject to degradation. This is especially true of higher resolution HD signals (like 1080i), as the higher bandwidth is more likely to be victim of some high-frequency roll-off, which will limit resolution. Again, this will vary depending on the quality of the unit. For example, if you look at Denon's receivers , you will see that they list various models with either 30Mhz, 50Mhz, or 100Mhz component switching bandwidth. I believe theoretically you should have 54Mhz, or something like that, for HD switching, but of course who knows how closely manufacturer's claims mirror real performance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.