90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My setup includes:

HD-ready widescreen 50" Samsung TV

Sony STR-DE1075

DVD

TiVO

VCR

I'm struggling with the concept of not mixing video input types to the receiver. Using my receiver for video switching, can you tell me if I've got this correct:

If TiVo is connected to the receiver with S-Video

and VCR is connected to the receiver with regular RCA jacks (cuz it has no S-video)

and the Receiver is connected to the TV with S-Video...then...

I'll get no picture cuz you can't mix video input types to the Receiver? I've got everything hooked up correctly (I think), but cant get a picture and think this is my issue.

So if I've got it correctly, does the VCR's lack of S-video automatically force me to use the less desirable composite (RCA) cables? (I'm hooking the DVD to the TV directl with Component cables). Suggestions?

===============

Off topic...if I can plug a scanner into my PC and the PC immediately knows it's a scanner and sets things accordingly, why haven't audio/video products made the same advances? These hook ups are maddening! But I digress...

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
You can get a RCA->SVideo adaptor that will work just fine. I used one with my VCR for about a year until I bought a SVHS VCR. RadioShack sells them for $20, but you can find them other places as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds great! Think it'll be a really easy solution for me.

One more question: since the component video is going from the DVD to the TV for optimun picture quality, I assume there is no way, then to use the Receiver (where the DVD audio is obviously coming from) to signal to the TV to switch the the DVD/Component signal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Usually things will work and you will get better picture quality by connecting both composite and S-video cables from the A/V reciver to the TV. Use differenbt input banks at the TV for example Video 1 for composite, Video 2 for S-vido and Video 3 for component.

BUt behind the receiver, try the same input bank for composite and S-video if you find it necessary to run both kinds of cables back to an S-VHS VCR or a digital cable TV box if you have that. This simplifies the audio connections Occasionally the composite gives better quality for some cable channels while S-video gives bettter quality for others. Occasionally composite gives better quality for broadcasts tuned in by the S-VHS VCR while tapes, even non-SVHS ones, always play a bit better using S-video.

A composite to S-video converter costing less than USD $200. will probably cause noticeable worsening of broadcasts from a VCR compared with composite direct to the TV although minimal difference from regular VHS tape playing.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Anyone who can afford or even want one of these conveters for over $200, I'd like to have their money and put it to some decent use. I've compared PQ in various methods with the converter (and w/o) I had, bottom line hardly any difference. Compared with various types of tapes svhs, pre recorded, home made, recorded from tv, copy from rentals, ect difference was next to nill. Not that I really cared or anything, I just did it for fun:)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Just for fun, use the composite output of your DVD player and try it two ways, (1) direct to the TV composite input, and (2) through a composite to S' converter to the S' input of the TV. Play the AVIA 200 TVL non-anamorphic resolution test pattern. Unless the TV has a really crappy Y/C separation filter you will see where resolution is compromised.

Regular VHS resolution ends at about 240 on the upright wedge resolution pattern scale which is before a cheap converter shows its degradation, hence the minimal loss in picture quality from that source material. Broadcast resolution uses up to 330. DVD resolution goes all the way, to 540 although there are several other reasons why the composite connection from a DVD player should be avoided if possible.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If you want to spend $3K+, buy a Denon 5803 receiver. It will upconvert the composite inputs to S-video--and then to component!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.