Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From my testing of the LT-150...

I have taken several people and asked them to point out anything weird or annoying about the picture.

No one mentioned anything about rainbows. BUT, after letting them watch for a while, I pointed them out and everyone could see them! They just didn't click into what they were seeing.

If you have never seen rainbows, it is because you didn't know what you were looking for.

At this point I decided to get rid of the screen I was using and projected on to the wall. Funny, rainbows almost all disappeared.

I'm guessing that with the proper screen and not knowing what rainbows are, one will never know.

My suggestion, don't go looking for them!

Members in this forum seem to be perfectionists. Every little flaw get pointed out and and some what blown out of proportion. I don't mind that, but I do have to see it for myself.

It just reminds me of a when I taught a friend a mine about sound. This guy loves music but has never been taught about sound.

I had a 300W car audio amp and home speakers out in the middle of no-where in northern Alberta. We were in a small clearing with heavy bush all around us. The amp was hi end and the speakers were good but not the best I have heard. These speakers never sounded better.

I had these things cranked and he said he loved the sound. Ah, but come over here, I pointed out to him the sweet spot and how to find it.

He was Blown away! He said the music seemed to dance in his head.

I said to him that now I was going to disappoint him. I asked him to listen to all the instruments that were being played. He picked them out one by one. I said great, now listen to that guitar, if it was right here in front of you would it sound like that? He listened for almost an hour then called me an a$$hole.

You see, he has a mini home stereo made by Teak, sounds not bad, but far from great. When we got home he went shopping for a new system, his wife almost shot me! hehe

The point of my little story is...

Audio for me was different from almost everyone I know. Most people listen to to music and not the sound.

Video on the other hand is new. Most of us don't really know what quality is yet. It's hard to explain, but before reading posts from this forum, I was satisfied with what I was seeing. But now you guys pointed out the subtile little flaws and I can't help but seeing them.

Should I be mad or enlightened?

Eddy

------------------

-

Marantz SR-19

Marantz DV-7100

Energy Encore II

JVC 32PIP

looking for FP(LT-150)

Digital Cable Box

Aura Bass shakers

Eddy

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
I agree with your statment 100%

About a year ago we were selling the Draper M2500 screen like hot cakes. Not one complaint in a 6 month period.

We sold 60 of these things.

One day one person got on the forum and said he could see defects if he looked close in the material and that was the end of that.

All the previuos buyers that were completely satisfied with there screen for 6 months were now walking up to it looking for this defect.

Of course you know they all saw it.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It makes me wonder how much of this forum is driven by salesmen and manufacturers.

Don't get me wrong, this site has been a valuable tool for me.

Up here in Edmonton, there is this stereo chain that is selling a certain brand of speakers for an unbelievable price. When you go in to buy they drop the price just for YOU! Well the only thing good about these things is you can crank them up to high levels, other wise they are junk. The response of these things are just sickening to listen to.

There marketing was ingenious! They used word-of-mouth and the net to sell these to young inexperienced audio buffs just starting out. Well for the same price they could have bought 10X the speaker.

It's funny, you see them being re-sold used at less then half the price. Guys are realizing that they got took.

I am not saying that's what is going on here, but it make me go hmmm...

Still a GREAT Forum!

Eddy

------------------

-

Marantz SR-19

Marantz DV-7100

Energy Encore II

JVC 32PIP

looking for FP(LT-150)

Digital Cable Box

Aura Bass shakers

Eddy

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I watched the origninal 70" Mitsubishi RPTV (the really deep one) for about 8 or 9 years. It had lots of what I now know as hanging dots (haven't even thought about any of THOSE for a long time), and big fat scan lines and jumpiness in horizontal lines. I adjusted my seating position for the scan lines and tried to ignore the dots and jumpies. I bought a lot of Lazerdiscs. When DSS came out I was first, and that helped a lot. It was the best picture I had seen at home for all that time. Then I just HEARD about FP and got bitten. Since then, the quality of my picture has made a quantum leap. You just can't go back. Progressive scanning, 480 lines, and now the brightness, contrast and much better color than any RPTV or Plasma display. What is amazing is that I now know that what 99.9% of people think is a great picture, is really pretty darn marginal. For me it is now barely tolerable, but I'm polite. Yet with the incredible, and virtually artifact free pictures now available to most of us on this forum, we act like a bunch of spoiled brats. "It's not PERFECT." Well, NSS. That's always true by definition. But when it's better than any movie theater, what is it you're really after? What will satisfy you, LSD?

------------------

Joe

"Well, it didn't look like a two-horse town, but try finding a decent hair jelly."

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was an audiophile years back, and was trying to reach perfection. I was trying to listening to the vocalist drawing his/her breath, an instrumentalist within a big philharmonic orchestra flipping the page of his/her music score, transient attack and harmonics of a cymbal, how deep the bass goes, and imaging. Read up on all the reviews and specs, audited every new gear that I could. I always find fault with my equipments, so I kept on trading up to chase after that elusive dream. Then one day, I helped a friend to set up a middle of the road system, it sounded not too bad, perfectly acceptable. Instead of pulling out test albums to torture the system, he actually put on his most favorite music and enjoy them, and he was so please with it. This dawn on me that I was listening to specs and tech and not music, that's why I was in so much pain and sunk so much money into the hobby. So I lived with my system and tried not to compare specs with or out do my peers. I just enjoy my music. Some of you might remember the ad: 'Is it live or is it *******'. I haven't heard any live concert that come close to the studio recorded material playing through a half decent system yet.

With that being said, we still need brave souls to be pioneers and push the technical envelope. If there are no enthusiasts to buy those leading edge technologies, there won't be any incentive for manufacturers to come out with technological breakthrough products. Then the whole scene will become stagnant, and no affordable technologies will filter down to the common masses.

My $0.02

My system: As long as I can enjoy my movie without distractions.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Hi,

After studying the little LT150, I really looking forward to 3-chips DLP coming down in price for hometheater usage. I'll try my best to dump my CRT projector XG85 once digital projector can finally come close to it's video performance.

Thanks in advance! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

regards,

Li On

PS: to those LT150 users, when they're ready to switch projector, hopefully they'll find the flaw I mentioned and won't repeat the problem in their next buying...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.