AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've built up a decent collection of TV shows on DVD.

I know how to rip each TV show as its "own" DVD using DVD Shrink. For example, I can now get each episode to show up as it's own "movie" in My Movies.

From my non-HD tv's I'd like to be able to select either single episodes, or preferably a "video playlist" and have the shows play.

For example, I have about 30 Seinfelds and 50 Friends episodes. From my TV, i'd like to be able to select "play random SEINFELD" or "play random SITCOM episode" where SEINFELD is a video playlist of all my Seinfeld episodes and SITCOM is a video playlist off all my sitcom episodes.

So I'd need some kind of server software running on my desktop PC, and I'd need a client device that can communicate wirelessly with my desktop PC and stream the audio/video.

=====

My questions:
Is anyone else doing this?

Is there software that can create a "playlist" of these single episode DVDs and then play them?

Would I be more successful converting these single episode DVD's to a single .vob or .mpg file?

=====

It seems like one option is to use the MCE2005 I have on my desktop PC, and simply get an MCE Extender/XBOX Extender. That would give me the added benefit of bring PVR TV functionality to the TV. HOWEVER, MCE only allows 1 wireless Extender, and I'd have to recode all my "single episode DVD's" as .wmv files..

Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm been working on something like this for awhile, exactly what you describe. I don't have a release date, but I will have a test version out later this year. The software manages DVD collections, letting you organize and play back DVDs. It allows you to save playlists of different chapters of a DVD, whether it be sitcoms, movie or karaokes. The software will just use regular Windows networking to stream files from a File Server(where all the DVDs is stored) over wireless or LAN connections to clients. The client/server software is one and the same software and needs to run on a WindowsXP PC to work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mog:
Quote:
It seems like one option is to use the MCE2005 I have on my desktop PC, and simply get an MCE Extender/XBOX Extender. That would give me the added benefit of bring PVR TV functionality to the TV. HOWEVER, MCE only allows 1 wireless Extender, and I'd have to recode all my "single episode DVD's" as .wmv files
As an alternative to MCE Extender, you might consider a GoVideo 2740 or Avel Linkstation (google). Several Weeks ago there was a "bargain" at eCost on 2740. If it works with software that Slymobile is developing below, you get the advantage of Networked (both Wireless/Wired) out of the box + Stand Alone DVD Player for less than a Media Extender (I'm still messing with bit archaic/weak software). The other nice part is the elimination of the connection issue - Component, S-Video, Composite and for LinkStation I believe DVI.

Slymobile
Quote:
I'm been working on something like this for awhile, exactly what you describe. I don't have a release date, but I will have a test version out later this year. The software manages DVD collections, letting you organize and play back DVDs. It allows you to save playlists of different chapters of a DVD, whether it be sitcoms, movie or karaokes. The software will just use regular Windows networking to stream files from a File Server(where all the DVDs is stored) over wireless or LAN connections to clients. The client/server software is one and the same software and needs to run on a WindowsXP PC to work.
Looking forward to your program. May just be the ticket for running a Media Server with the addition of DVD Profiler like info. I'd love to do what Mog has done, plus be able to provide thumbnails of my movies or music if that can be incorporated.

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.