AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda of stuck on my plan here. Need the group sounding board for thoughts.

I am planning on eventually serving 8 TV's in the house. Centrally locating all equipment unless I specifically want 5.1 or 7.1 in a room then it gets a reciever. I will have a WHS server regardles for DVD, BR, and music backups so thats a wash for all setups. I will have 2 HDPVR for recording cable boxes for all setups as well.

NMT solution + extra HDPVR's

($200 per box X 8) + (2 x $150) = $1900

This method requires me to have an HDPVR per input (cable 1, cable box 2, XBOX360, PS3)

Carries max 5.1 to each TV via the network

IR repeater required

Might have delay issues on game systems

Can upgrade NMT (for example to a C200 with BR player for local play)

Component Matrix switch plus one NMT and baluns

1.5K + ($200 x 1) + (16 x $50) = $2,500

Most switches/baluns only carry Stereo

IR repeater required

matrix HDMI switch (wyrestorm)

7k + ($200 x 1) = $7200

Carries 7.1 to all rooms

Integrated IR repeater

Can mirror each 8 matrix output for 16 TV's total

Can someone help me understand any additional pros and cons of one over the other? For example maybe the NMT can carry IR back to the central location? Any help here would be great. I do nderstand the above prices vary depending on brand, options, etc...just a guide.

Just kinda bogged down in the options.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal /forum/post/16941048

NMT solution + extra HDPVR's

($200 per box X 8) + (2 x $150) = $1900

This method requires me to have an HDPVR per input (cable 1, cable box 2, XBOX360, PS3)

Just kinda bogged down in the options.

STOP, HDPVR and PS3 and/or Xbox 360 are NOT a good idea. There is delay with the encoding that the HDPVR does as well as the delay in playback, by per say Sage TV. On gaming this would NOT work out well. As much as I like Sage, this setup sounds like a matrix switch is the answer; as far as which switch to go with and what vendor, I will leave up to the rest of the AVS community to answer!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Have you considered a "right-sized" HDMI over IP matrix using a managed 100BT Ethernet Switch? It supports 5.1 audio, and return IR control from all locations. All distribution is done over one piece of CAT5 to each location. MSRP is $309 for each HDMI over IP Transmitter with IR Emitter, and $250 for each HDMI over IP Receiver. You can have practically any number of HDMI over IP Transmitters/Receivers over a Managed Ethernet Switch that supports VLAN and IGMP protocols. I'd estimate it to cost under $5K for a 5 Input, 9 Output configuration (allowing $1195 of that $5K for a hefty Managed Switch, you can get by with much less).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze /forum/post/16942806

STOP, HDPVR and PS3 and/or Xbox 360 are NOT a good idea. There is delay with the encoding that the HDPVR does as well as the delay in playback, by per say Sage TV. On gaming this would NOT work out well. As much as I like Sage, this setup sounds like a matrix switch is the answer; as far as which switch to go with and what vendor, I will leave up to the rest of the AVS community to answer!

Great points, and to ne honest i knew this, but figured it wouldnt hirt to try for some more basic games (i.e Settlers of Catan etc) that do not rely on timing issues.

Quote:
Have you considered a "right-sized" HDMI over IP matrix using a managed 100BT Ethernet Switch? It supports 5.1 audio, and return IR control from all locations. All distribution is done over one piece of CAT5 to each location. MSRP is $309 for each HDMI over IP Transmitter with IR Emitter, and $250 for each HDMI over IP Receiver. You can have practically any number of HDMI over IP Transmitters/Receivers over a Managed Ethernet Switch that supports VLAN and IGMP protocols. I'd estimate it to cost under $5K for a 5 Input, 9 Output configuration (allowing $1195 of that $5K for a hefty Managed Switch, you can get by with much less).

No that had not occurred to me. How do you manage which source each reciever will utilize? How do you switch to the one you want? I guess I am asking, how do you actively manage the routing and switching for use?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal /forum/post/16946545

No that had not occurred to me. How do you manage which source each reciever will utilize? How do you switch to the one you want? I guess I am asking, how do you actively manage the routing and switching for use?

The specific process will depend on which Managed Ethernet Switch you purchase. As far as I know, they all come with an HTTP interface, so you could manage it from any network attached device (wired or wireless) with a supported browser. Many of these Managed Ethernet switches also have RS232 interfaces, so you could also manage the routing using any number of programmable controllers (i.e. Crestron, AMX, etc..). We also are considering publishing some "home friendly" GUI's that are switch brand specific, and we are investigating an IR solution that will be supported on specific brands of switches. If you are happy with the HTTP interface on a lower cost Managed Ethernet Switch (most of them are fairly easy to use), then you don't have to be concerned with the more sophisticated RS232/IR options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.