AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen alot of threads on this topic but none really spell out the answer I'm looking for.

I want to inject an SD signal from my Media Center PC's RCA Audio/Video out into the rest of my cable service throughout my house. I know this won't be HD and that's fine.

So.... I found the Channel Plus equipment that will do the job (3015, 5415, etc) but their instruction manuals don't fill me with confidence. I'm going to run an RCA from the computer's video out to this device and then I'll have a coax cable from this device's output in my hand. Two questions...

1. Does it plug into an LPF-450 next?

2. Should it ultimately plug right into the wall jack and that's it?

My understanding of cable systems tells me there's a single input from the cable company which is then distributed as outputs to each room in the house. Doesn't make alot of sense to plug an input-type device (the modulator) into an output signal. Or maybe the modulator needs to run next to the cable company's input signal before it gets distributed to the rooms in the house? Maybe turn a splitter backwards and feed cable input + modulator input into a single coax that then goes out to all the rooms? But then where would the filter go in that arrangement.

And also, I have cable internet as well, so as you can plainly see...

I'm lost.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ideally you want to have a Channel Plus DA (DA-5500HHR) and have your coax home run to each room that you are modulating to. Your Cable box will be one of the inputs on your modulator set to whatever channel. Your PC would be the next input into the modulator and so on. The modulator goes into the DA through the RF output and you are up and running. You can also add an IR interface (2100A)at the coax destination locations for IR functionality. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Ideally, you should use a 12dB TAP (backwards) to insert a modulator into your home CATV service. Residential modulators have an output signal level of +25dBmV. The signal level coming from the cable company is ~10-15dBmV. Utilizing a 12dB TAP will bring the modulator's signal level fairly close to that of the cable system.

Cable feed connects to the filter. Filter connects to the OUT leg of the DC-12. Modulator connects to the TAP leg. IN leg goes to your distribution system.

Realize that those filters block everything above the frequency on the label. That LPF-450 blocks everything above 450MHz (channel 62 and up). Most, if not all (depends on the system) digital channels are above 550MHz, which means that a 450MHz filter would block most, if not all, digital channels (in addition to channels 62-78).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts