AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still unable to get S-Video output to my TV but now I am noticing more and more video noise from the composite connection.

What I get is basically a band that scrolls from bottom to top that is about 8" or so tall (27" TV). The band looks like a lower-bevel that you might see on a button in a Windows application. So it sort of looks like someone is moving a piece of glass from the bottom to the top and starting all over again as it finishes. Also, just below this band is another section that is about 1" tall that is much brighter than the rest of the picture, that scrolls at the same pace as the large band.

Does anyone have an idea why this would happen. It is very noticeable, even from 10' away. Not sure if there is a way to sort of de-magnitize or whatever that can be done. When I watch TV on my monitor (from the video card TV input) it looks fine, but when out put to the TV I get the noise, same goes for DVD's or anything else.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Composite is an awful way to connect to your TV. That being said, make sure you've got a decent cable with 75 Ohm terminations. After that, try getting a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I have had that issue before. A lot of it had to do with power. It wasn't even the power between my pc and my computer that was causing it. It was the power from my Dish 6000. I ran an extension cord for that device to a different room and the rolling bars went away. It took me quite a while to figure out what it was. All I can say is look at the power issue and try any devices that are in that room.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that Composite stinks, but unfortuantely I am having problems getting any picture from the S-Video connection. I may have a defective card, just want to make sure that this interference is something that I CAN fix.

Thanks for the tip, I will check that stuff tonight and see if I isolate the TV to one outlet and maybe the computer to another, whether that helps matters. Since it does seem like something that can be eliminated, just like bad reception from an antenna, I thought this problem was fixable.

I will post feedback later

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
For me like I mentioned it wasn't even the pc and the tv that was a power problem. It was the dish 6000. If you have anything else on that same circuit I would remove it all and isolate it and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chap
For me like I mentioned it wasn't even the pc and the tv that was a power problem. It was the dish 6000. If you have anything else on that same circuit I would remove it all and isolate it and see what happens.
Yep, you have a ground loop problem (60Hz hum bar). You have one system on two different grounds. Usually caused by a cable connection or as mention the satellite dish, both are usually on a separate ground than your system.

Solution:

- Have your main power box grounded to your utility pipe.

The biggest cause of ground loops is connecting a cable to your system that is connected to another ground source. the cable company require that the installer ground the cable to the utility pipe, your mains box is usually grounded by way of a galvanized rod in the ground, this rod may corrode or may not have the same resistance to ground as the utility pipes, therefore creating a ground loop. Don't use the little gizmos that break the ground, you'd want to ground your system for protection from static, brown outs and noise, the gizmos won't do that.

Simply have an electrician run a heavy ground wire from your utility pipe to your AC mains box. You should also notice a difference in the performance of your system (noise).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geez, I should have known it has to be something like this. I will have to talk to the building management since I live in a rented townhouse. I did remove the TV from the same powerstrip that the computer is connected to and noticed a significant improvement, at least watching a DVD or somthing else is watchable now. I will look into having the ground checked though.

I appreciate all the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.