AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Marantz 6480, which is the same as the Philips 9905. But this question isn't necessarily just for owners of this set. This is my first RPTV, prior to this I've had the last 2 models of the Sony 36" XBR (XBR250 & XBR400)line. With those TVs I've been accustomed to a razor sharp & clean DVD image. Now with my 64" Marantz, when watching DVDs, I can notice very fine video noise or grain on many many DVDs that I never noticed before with my 36" direct view. This noise is very annoying, it's just like little tiny speckles that are shifting around all the time. Basically it just looks like film grain. Now these aren't just cruddy DVDs, these are DVDs like Gladiator, Meet the Parents, etc. Now I'm wondering is this just inherent to having a much larger image? Because since the image is like 3X larger, the video noise is also 3X larger and more noticeable than it was on my 36"? Or is this maybe a problem with my set, and you other RPTV owners all have totally clean & grain free DVD output? Now I don't think it's just my set, because some DVDs are really clean, like X-Men and Tarzan both playback very cleanly. So I think it's just that some DVDs are authored better than others and with the much larger image, the formerly small and unoticeable video noise is now much larger & easier to see. Any input from you guys & reccomendations on dealing with this would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

Warren Tsang
http://www.geocities.com/sprasnc

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.