Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think?

A good implementation of VOD (video on demand) services - best pictures, best sound, best availability, best transfer rates over networks - will prevail over home movie DVD rentals..or over personal DVD posessions? Imagine all the DVD's you want, whenever you want, maybe at a small view/rent price, just a click away?

Once again, what do you think about this? Is it achievable?

·
Registered
602 Posts
It's achievable but there are two groups of people involved in this. The enthusiast that purchases and the hacker that rips everything.

The enthusiasts will most likely prefer to buy a physical package to look at and smell while the the hacker type will get his own rip either by renting or borrowing the title, never or rarely purchases anything.

Pay on demand services should have been implemented years ago, before the technology bacame to easy to make your own. Now, who realy needs to pay for streaming data when you make your own for a small percentage of the total cost. If the proper encryptions were in place and streaming pay to play data existed before we could rip our own then I think the digital home theater market would be a slightly different place than it is now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Endeed, the hacker - entuziast issue is present. And still....

Let's put it this way. Hackers were, h are and h there will be always ...... some peoples feel the need to go beyond the limits that the society allows...so the hacker problem is explainable.

But the entuziasthic's cannot ignore the true benefits of VOD: we are all "fighting":D for a better collection of movies...dvd's, laser discs, vhs tapes...I am sure that any entuziasthic has payed a fortune to achieve its collection. So let's put it this way: a DVD costs around 20$ or more. If you rent an online movie with let's say 3-4$ you can easily enjoy all the benefits of the movie many times. Of course there is still the problem of "those" :) who are watching a movie over-and-over again. So the costs are lower.....The movie is still there...physically (in a box) or virtually on a site the result is the same: you see it and you enjoy it. And whats the best ideea: you can benefit of all the movies ever made.It's all there. You just have to sit and choose....

One cannot understimate the pass to the digital era of the TV and the growth of the media-on-demand phenomenon.

Any comments on this...anyone.....:(

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Cablevision of Long Island NY is rolling out a new digital cable system with VOD. It sounds like the thing is a digital cable box + cable modem for the VOD. I haven't read much on it lately, but last I read, it looked like a nice Realplayer stream with occasional drop outs. Definitely not ready for primetime and getting around the bandwidth issues must be tough.

·
Registered
408 Posts
People will always want something tangible for forking over cash. Even if they like the idea of VOD, the problem is still that given enough time, they will look at what they have cumulatively spent, and go 'what have I been spending money on?'.

VOD services and trials have been going back and forth for the last 20 years. The problem is how you tackle this (cache the data, stream it, combine both) while saving maximum bandwidth and delivering the best perceived image that 'I can watch anything I want, any time I want'. Most services and trials have failed because they either couldn't do either of the above, or couldn't make a profit doing either of the above.

Its a circle-jerk - bandwidth costs money, money eats profits, and to get more profits we need to have more VOD titles available, which costs bandwidth.

·
Registered
702 Posts
actually I think your circle is actually referring to storage costs money, spending money reduces profits, and to get more profits you need to have a larger selection of movies. The bandwidth is linear to the amount of movies people watch (actually not necessarily linear as if a ton of people are watching you can multicast a movie starting every couple of minutes -- variable length trailers)

It basically requires a pre-existing high speed infrastructure (last mile and between cable headends) and lots of storage at each cable head end or a much higher speed backbone between cable headends and centralized storage. Of course you can compromise on selection and put storage in the home (a la tivo) and have a selection of encrypted movies available (lots of bandwidth at night available).

I think these are minor obstacles. In the long run, there's no way the market will support driving someplace to get digital data and driving back to return it.

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
The idea of some library that could be accessed at first sounds like better selection but I'm sure in the end some of my favorite movies would fall out of circulation though the system and then they would be unavailable.

I'm not just into the latest films. I like choice. I have a laserdisc player because there are titles I fear will never be produced on DVD due to the very limited demand but I still find them to be wonderfull.

-Brian

·
Registered
104 Posts
Charter has VOD in my area now. I'm very impressed with it. On my not so high quality TV, I don't see any difference between that and DVD movies. I have not rented a DVD since I started using VOD, because its the same price, and I don't have to leave the house. Of course, that's with school in session, so as soon as schools out, I'm sure ill continue to rend alot of DVDs. Anyway, I didn't see any drop out, and I could even rewind. Right now they have about 100 movies to choose from, but I'm hoping they'll add more soon. I am also not sure about the sound quality, as I am still awaiting my Onkyo 5.1 sound system.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Joe Six Pack will go for VOD.

For the enthusiast, it will depend on the quality and what's available. Neither pan-and-scan nor DBS quality are acceptable on a 6' wide screen. Given the paucity of decent new releases, we want access to a decent library that goes back some time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Drew Eckhardt
Joe Six Pack will go for VOD.

For the enthusiast, it will depend on the quality and what's available. Neither pan-and-scan nor DBS quality are acceptable on a 6' wide screen. Given the paucity of decent new releases, we want access to a decent library that goes back some time.
It'll be awhile before VOD can deliver 2500 Kbps bandwidth even over cable modem. The best bet for now is Netflix, if you're the kind who plans ahead instead of instant gratification. For those who can accept VHS quality, and if VOD is priced about the same as a cable premium package (and assuming they also have cable for fast Internet access, I doubt anyone is going to pay $ 50 / mo. for VOD), VOD is OK.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi All:

___Interesting thread …

___If VOD had a HQ stream (720p/1080i or higher w/ absolutely no dropouts) and film that were not downconverted and/or AR’ed to death to fill a bandwidth quota or a Video engineers whim, I would think it may even sway a display quality purists idea’s toward this option. However, having experienced what Dish/HBOHD and less so with Dish/ShoHD does to the supposedly Hi Def films they present, I highly doubt the scheme will work for most of us. I watch far more DVD’s than movies from these (2) channels and with VOD’s even lower quality stream, there is simply no way I will downgrade my viewing quality if at all possible. I was watching the NBA playoff’s on my PC Monitor with a MyHD card I setup an hour prior rather than see it on the Big Screen via 480i sat. That has changed now but that is how much I love the HQ digital streams. My wife and kids on the other hand dislike even a 2.35 AR film on a 16:9 display and would like me to unlock the AR and fill the 16:9 screen fully. Unfortunately for them, I have my limits ;) In any case, the Joe Six Packs of the world will definitely go with a VOD if the stream is unbroken but I for one will probably never enjoy it given the lower quality stream coming from the VOD setups I have read about to date.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have seen Cablevision's VOD many times and I think it is really good. I didn't say great. I think a DVD is great. But it is very close. Much better than VHS and better than a Replay recorded show off of digital cable.

If it is actually realplayer, then maybe my thoughts on Real would change a little. I have heard for a long time that they can deliver DVD-like quality, but all I see is bloated software, that tries to take over my PC, and quality that still sucks from 5 years ago.

If VOD offered anamorphic, and 5.1, then I would order it. And as for the future, you can bet that we will have HDTV VOD. Probably not for 10 years, maybe even 20, but of course we will definately have it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.