AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I shouted and screamed. gasped and held my breath. I grabbed my wife repeatedly and dragged her into our home theater and acted like a fool. I drank wine, smiled and sat back in awe.

2001 A Space Odyssey projected anamorphically at 1400x1050 with my reset JVC SX21, Bravo D1, DVI cable and ISCOII lens on a Stewart 16x9 screen.

Oh what an ode to joy.

I spent 2 hours resetting everything, fine-tuning the SX21, the Bravo and re twisting the lens. I honestly cannot believe the image.

I saw this film in 1994 projected in 70mm at what many believe to be the finest theater in the world. The 27 screen 7000 seat Kinepolis in Belgium. A packed house literally cheered at the end. Screen no.22 is wall to wall, floor to ceiling - enormous expanse.

Back to tonight.

New heights - resolution and color that my CRT never came even close to.

Thanks Stanley

Rob

PS - I feel like a child at Christmas. Each DVD that I had previously seen is a new present to be enjoyed. The problem is that I have 1000 DVD's :)

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I should buy that movie......

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Holloway
I saw this film in 1994 projected in 70mm at what many believe to be the finest theater in the world.
I thought you were to mention to the Cinerama Dome.

;-)

RJ

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kei Clark
I should buy that movie......

Never thought seeing a quote at 9 a.m. on a Monday morning would wake me up, but that one certainly did, lol

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Yeah John same here.

I first wanted to say should little boys even post such topics. ;)

You pixel happy guys crack me up. :)

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Sounds like some of you need to see Bikini Destinations in Hi Def then ;) :D

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Shoot, I thougt it was the movie....

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Hi Rob,

I am very pleased you are happy, but would you let us know how you were able to get the Bravo to output 1400X1050? I am not aware of anyone who has actually been able to make it work with the SX21 at other than 480, 720, or 1080i.

BTW....2001 is one of my all time favorites :)

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
All kidding aside, congratulations Rob. I'm looking forward to your comments after you get it calibrated by WM.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Right, where is that illusive William Phelps? Might he be a little recluse? Or it must be the new addition's zapped all his free time.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
lol...

Now we know why marketeers came up with the "SX" model - from cars (which I understand) to... projectors now!

It's a subliminal conspiracy, I tell you, about "SX" with a "21" - as usual directed to 40ish people ;)

And I thought that the "You Know You Are A Geek" thread was only for the HTPC forum - here's digital convergence for you!

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I just got my Sensio 3D system setup the other day. They do have one adult title. That might fit the title for your thread a little better :)

--Darin

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
So, Tom and Rich,

How come you guys aren't coming to the party?

I'll let that "40ish" comment pass.....

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Quote:

Its makes us 50-ish types feel like real geezers.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Quote:

Oooops. Sorry, Kei. I meant "39ish and younger"...

Ken, what works for Kei will work for you too: No, you won't look great like Kei (sorry) but you can feel younger too ;)

Also, most marketing people these days are young kids in their twenties (big companies are hiring cheaper talent these days). To them, their age+20 = old geezer. Hence the marketing of "SX21" and its effect on unsuspecting customers - as this thread's author illustrates in a climactic way.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Holloway
New heights - resolution and color that my CRT never came even close to.
What did you have?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi From NY

Travelling all week

And no i didn't take my PJ with me!

I'm in touch with William

I'll be Phelped in a few weeks

That sounds painful :)

Rob